Re: [EASCI] how connected do the entries have to be in entry one

  • Susie Skinner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
      Wow, my entries are totally inconnected, entry 1 is on rocks and minerals and entry 3 is devoted to problem solving. I had been told that they were not to be connected, but obviously I am a re-take candidate so maybe my information source was flawed.

      Susie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
        I don't think you were in error on that - I may have misunderstood that this candidate was working on the entry where the activities were to show a progression in learning a skill. The sections/entries for the portfolio are supposed to be from different units - at least it was when I took it. I was a re-take, too -HANG IN THERE and DON'T GIVE UP! :>)

        Donna M. Petty
        dpetty@...
        http://home.usit.net/~dpetty/Class_Page/index.htm (Class Page)
        http://www.columbiabahai.org
        "When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced.
        Live your life so that when you die the world cries
        and you rejoice".

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2004
          In my entry 1 I showed student growth in a weather unit. My first
          student work sample was a whole class activity of collecting weather
          data and constructing station models and forecasting from that data over
          a 10 day period. This was discussed in class, and self corrected. Next
          sample was a worksheet that allowed them to build on that learned
          material. They were given specific data and then they had to construct
          station models and forecast the next day's weather and that was done
          individually and graded. This showed how they were able to take
          mastered concepts from the group collections and use it by themselves to
          represent growth. The last sample was a standard weather map one might
          find in the newspaper with a variety of questions about it that students
          had to answer. Not only did the students have to answer "data
          questions" that were basic knowledge but there were many questions that
          reflected back to basic learned concepts such as knowing the general
          direction prevailing westerlies push air masses across the US would
          determine what areas would be receiving what kind of weather next
          (higher order thinking skills) These activities showed the growth of
          students being able to collect weather info, assess that data and be
          able to understand weather concepts / how it affects their lives. I
          received a 4 on this entry and passed the first time so it must have
          been on track. I don't think the activities have to be 1,2,3 sequenced
          but I do think they must tie together the common goal of that particular
          unit, if that makes sense. Entries 2 and 3 are to be on totally
          different topics and are not meant to be related. Hope this helps and
          good luck!
          Karen

          >>> dpetty@... 01/16/04 8:44 PM >>>
[...]

          Service.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.
        • bebadog
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2004
            Karen thanks so much for sharing. I feel much better about entry one.
            Mary Lynn