Re: Entry 4

  • sciquest2000
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hey guys I am winding up Entry 4 and working on Entry 2. However
      for Entry 4, I need some documentation on the guest speaker coming
      to my class this month. I have guest speakers but I always
      followed up iwth a grup oral discussion in the past. You guys have
      any ideas on what types of documentation would be helpful especially
      where it would impact student learning? This is the last thing that
      I need to add so that I fufill the parent/community invovlement
      portion and the entire Entry.
      Please reply only if you scored at the least the minimum to pass
      this entry
      Thanks
      The Science Teacher
    • Karen Cahoon
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
        Can you have the students write up what they learned. Their
        documentation of what they learned will be the best documentation.
        Maybe put their comments together and design a poster that you could
        take a picture of? Just a thought........good luck

        >>> eden908@... 01/02/04 2:22 AM >>>
      • Stacy Cordes
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
          Be sure to have the speaker complete one of those forms in the back verifying they did in fact speak in your room concerning whatever topic was discussed.
          I scored a 3.  I did not have a guest speaker.  I had parents sign the forms as well as colleagues and my principal.  I also included a copy of my communication log.
          Good luck.

          sciquest2000 <eden908@...> wrote:
          Hey guys I am winding up Entry 4 and working on Entry 2.  However
          for Entry 4, I need some documentation on the guest speaker coming
          to my class  this month.  I have guest speakers but I always
          followed up iwth a grup oral discussion in the past.  You guys have
          any ideas on what types of documentation would be helpful especially
          where it would impact student learning?  This is the last thing that
          I need to add so that I fufill the parent/community invovlement
          portion and the entire Entry.
          Please reply only if you scored at the least the minimum to pass
          this entry
          Thanks
          The Science Teacher

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kimberly Emanuel
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
            What about having students write thank you letters to the quest speaker including what they found interesting, what questions they still have and how they will use the information in their lives/class.
            Good luck!

            Mrs. Kimberly Emanuel Ed.S

            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
              Thanks Karen...

              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Cahoon" <kcahoon@c...> wrote:
              > Can you have the students write up what they learned. Their
              > documentation of what they learned will be the best documentation.
              > Maybe put their comments together and design a poster that you could
              > take a picture of? Just a thought........good luck

            • sciquest2000
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                Thanks Stacy...
                You and Karen gave me some ideas that I was already considering. I
                must be on the right track. The only thing is, the verification form
                for this professor is going to be like..."when will I get this
                back"... She is a nationally known college professor especially by the
                American Chemical Society. Right now she is overseas presenting a
                paper. She is soooo busy. But because we get along so
                well....hopefully she would expedite this form. Maybe I get her to do
                this right before she leaves the building.....
                Thanks Again ladies(karen and stacy) for your comments
                --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Stacy Cordes <d_scordes@y...> wrote:
                > Be sure to have the speaker complete one of those forms in the back
                verifying they did in fact speak in your room concerning whatever
                topic was discussed.
                > I scored a 3. I did not have a guest speaker. I had parents sign
                the forms as well as colleagues and my principal. I also included a
                copy of my communication log.
                > Good luck.

              • JSLiberatore
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                  What about copies of thank you notes from the students. Find a
                  couple that mention what they learned.

                  --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "sciquest2000" <eden908@h...> wrote:
                  > Hey guys I am winding up Entry 4 and working on Entry 2. However
                  > for Entry 4, I need some documentation on the guest speaker coming
                  > to my class this month. I have guest speakers but I always
                  > followed up iwth a grup oral discussion in the past. You guys have
                  > any ideas on what types of documentation would be helpful
                  especially
                  > where it would impact student learning? This is the last thing
                  that
                  > I need to add so that I fufill the parent/community invovlement
                  > portion and the entire Entry.
                  > Please reply only if you scored at the least the minimum to pass
                  > this entry
                  > Thanks
                  > The Science Teacher
                • Susie Skinner
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 2, 2004
                    I did not score minimum of this entry BUT, what about a simple post speaker survey of your classes, you know rank this speaker 1-10 as to best worse they have ever had. List 1-3 things they learned from this speaker, would they suggest you invite the speaker another year.

                    Could get a few good quotes.

                    SJS
                    What about copies of thank you notes from the students.  Find a
                    couple that mention what they learned.

                    --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "sciquest2000" <eden908@h...> wrote:
                    > Hey guys I am winding up Entry 4 and working on Entry 2.  However
                    > for Entry 4, I need some documentation on the guest speaker coming
                    > to my class  this month.  I have guest speakers but I always
                    > followed up iwth a grup oral discussion in the past.  You guys have
                    > any ideas on what types of documentation would be helpful
                    especially
                    > where it would impact student learning?  This is the last thing
                    that
                    > I need to add so that I fufill the parent/community invovlement
                    > portion and the entire Entry.
                    > Please reply only if you scored at the least the minimum to pass
                    > this entry
                    > Thanks
                    > The Science Teacher

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • bulleez
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 3, 2004
                      I would also suggest that when you have your speaker in, you
                      invite your principal or another administrator. Then have him/her
                      fill out a verification form. It's always a good idea to have your
                      supervisors saying good things about you. I scored a 3.0 on
                      entry 4, but I think you are limiting your resources by only asking
                      for input from people who scored a 2.75 or higher. Just because
                      they didn't get a minimum score, doesn't mean they don't have
                      great ideas. I know of Golden Apple recipients who didn't pass,
                      but that doesn't mean their ideas aren't fabulous. Just my two
                      cents.

                      <eden908@h...> wrote:
                      > Hey guys I am winding up Entry 4 and working on Entry 2.
                      However
                      > for Entry 4, I need some documentation on the guest speaker
                      coming
                      > to my class this month. I have guest speakers but I always
                      > followed up iwth a grup oral discussion in the past. You guys
                      have
                      > any ideas on what types of documentation would be helpful
                      especially
                      > where it would impact student learning? This is the last thing
                      that
                      > I need to add so that I fufill the parent/community invovlement
                      > portion and the entire Entry.
                      > Please reply only if you scored at the least the minimum to
                      pass
                      > this entry
                      > Thanks
                      > The Science Teacher
                    • mrsstipko
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
                        I posted this question regarding Entry 4 in another group, but got
                        little response so I though I'd try here.

                        I have most of Enry 1 under my belt. Now I am working on Entry 4 and
                        although I've read through the instructions twice I am still not
                        getting a crystal clear idea of exactly what they want here. I am
                        very much into specifics. I am keeping a record of all my
                        parental contacts as well as email correspondance w/ students. I
                        heard that some teachers are doing surveys for this entry. Can I ask
                        how those might be useful to Entry 4...and specifically what you
                        might survey? (my performance, student performance?) Also, can
                        anyone give me any advice as specific items to include in this entry?

                        Thank you very mush in advance,
                        Stephanie
                      • dinobrads
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
                          - I've read through the instructions twice I am still not
                          > getting a crystal clear idea of exactly what they want here. I
                          > heard that some teachers are doing surveys for this entry. Can
                          I ask
                          > how those might be useful to Entry 4...and specifically what you
                          > might survey? (my performance, student performance?) Also,
                          can
                          > anyone give me any advice as specific items to include in this
                          entry?

                          > Thank you very mush in advance,
                          > Stephanie

                          Dear Stephanie,
                          Entry 4 is not a resume. I'm not sure what a survey would be use
                          for. I passed this past year and used emails with parents to
                          support how my classroom newsletters and useage of
                          www.mygradebook.com helped move students learning forward.

                          The key is to think about something that you do outside the
                          classroom that helps and assists students learning. AND that
                          you can substiantiate as helping students learn.

                          I organized a student work project at the local natural history
                          museum. I used student project along with pictures and a
                          verification letter from the director to prove that it helps student
                          learning.
                          Hope this helps.
                        • mrsstipko
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
                            That sounds great. I can certainly show similar things. The
                            directions do mention that 15 or so items shoudl be included. Did
                            you do 14 other projects similar to that?

                            Also, I've been meaning to start a classroom newsletter. Do you have
                            one that I can sign up for to get some ideas from?

                            Thanks so much!
                            Stephanie

                            > From: "dinobrads" <dinobrads@...>
                            > Date: 2005/01/07 Fri PM 07:54:27 EST
                            > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

                          • mrsstipko
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 7, 2005
                              Correction. Correction...I was thinking of something else. I meant
                              that the directions mention that no more than 8 items should be
                              included.

                              T ogive some examples of items I was thinking of including, I had
                              thought of including email/phone correspondence with certain
                              parents, a couple faculty presentations that I have done, a couple
                              reading workshops that I have taken. Am I on the right track here?

                              Stephanie

                              --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "mrsstipko" <stipko@b...> wrote:

                              > That sounds great. I can certainly show similar things. The
                              > directions do mention that 15 or so items shoudl be included. Did
                              > you do 14 other projects similar to that?
                              >
                              > Also, I've been meaning to start a classroom newsletter. Do you
                              have
                              > one that I can sign up for to get some ideas from?
                              >
                              > Thanks so much!
                              > Stephanie
                              > >
                              > > From: "dinobrads" <dinobrads@y...>
                              > > Date: 2005/01/07 Fri PM 07:54:27 EST
                              > > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
                              > > Subject: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

                            • dinobrads
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
                                I believe that I listed 5 and spent about 2-3 pages documenting
                                them. I included the website that I created to foster scientific
                                inquiry and then how I used it in the classroom and then how it
                                helped move the kids forward. The key to this is that you need to
                                prove that it helped and assisted kids in learning (or something
                                found in the Standards).
                                I most definately used www.mygradebook.com as a proof that I
                                do this. Every Friday and as needed I send out a email
                                newsletter (+300 emails) and for those that do not have email I
                                print off a copy of the email and send it home. It shows what we
                                did in the week, where we are going, homework, upcomming
                                tests, hints on studying, etc. It is very helpful to the parents as
                                they are no longer reactive they are proactive. They discuss the
                                science with their child not "where is this assignment?"
                                Because I received so many emails from parents and improved
                                grades, it was easy to document.

                                I think that if you think about things that you currently do and can
                                prove how it helps and assists students then that would be
                                easier for you to write about.

                                I would be happy to read and mentor you if you would like?
                                Regards Jeff

                              • stipko@bellsouth.net
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005

                                  I believe that I listed 5 and spent about 2-3 pages documenting
                                  them.  I included the website that I created to foster scientific
                                  inquiry and then how I used it in the classroom and then how it
                                  helped move the kids forward.  The key to this is that you need to
                                  prove that it helped and assisted kids in learning (or something
                                  found in the Standards).
                                  I most definately used www.mygradebook.com as a proof that I
                                  do this.  Every Friday and as needed I send out a email
                                  newsletter (+300 emails) and for those that do not have email I
                                  print off a copy of the email and send it home.  It shows what we
                                  did in the week, where we are going, homework, upcomming
                                  tests, hints on studying, etc.  It is very helpful to the parents as
                                  they are no longer reactive they are proactive.   They discuss the
                                  science with their child not "where is this assignment?"
                                  Because I received so many emails from parents and improved
                                  grades, it was easy to document.

                                  I think that if you think about things that you currently do and can
                                  prove how it helps and assists students then that would be
                                  easier for you to write about.

                                  I would be happy to read and mentor you if you would like?
                                  Regards Jeff
                                  at the directions mention that no more than 8 items should be
                                  > included.
                                  > I was thinking of including, I had
                                  > thought of including email/phone correspondence with certain
                                  > parents, a couple faculty presentations that I have done, a
                                  couple
                                  > reading workshops that I have taken. Am I on the right track
                                  here?

                                  > Stephanie
                                  >
                                  > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "mrsstipko" <stipko@b...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > > That sounds great. I can certainly show similar things. The
                                  > > directions do mention that 15 or so items shoudl be
                                  included. Did
                                  > > you do 14 other projects similar to that?
                                  > >
                                  > > Also, I've been meaning to start a classroom newsletter. Do
                                  you
                                  > have
                                  > > one that I can sign up for to get some ideas from?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks so much!
                                  > > Stephanie
                                  > > >
                                  > > > From: "dinobrads" <dinobrads@y...>
                                  > > > Date: 2005/01/07 Fri PM 07:54:27 EST
                                  > > > To: EASCI@yahoogroups.com
                                  > > > Subject: [EASCI] Re: Entry 4

                                • dinobrads
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
                                    Good luck. All you need to do is document this website usage
                                    and how the interactive componets foster student learning. The
                                    newsletter idea is very helpful for classroom-parent dialog
                                    especially since a recent NEA study found that parents are
                                    feeling more and more like outsiders in their childrens' school. If
                                    you can prove that you cause the reverse to happen that would
                                    be beneficial to you passing this Entry.

                                    For my EASCI passage I started with 4, then entry 3,2, and finally
                                    entry 1. Good luck.
                                    Regards.

                                    --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, <stipko@b...> wrote:
                                    > Thank you. That was very helpful. I do have a website whihc
                                    includes tons of helpful and interactive info for the students. I will
                                    be starting a newsletter too. Thanks for the push in the right
                                    direction.

                                  • THudson128@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
                                      Only include those things that you have done that you can directly link to increased student learning. How havethe faculty presentations positively impacted student acheivement? Make sure that you can document this most important component of every accomplishment that you list.
                                    • v1945@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 8, 2005
                                        In a message dated 1/8/05 1:22:53 PM Central Standard Time, dinobrads@... writes:
                                        Good luck.  All you need to do is document this website usage
                                        and how the interactive componets foster student learning.   The
                                        newsletter idea is very helpful for classroom-parent dialog
                                        especially since a recent NEA study found that parents are
                                        feeling more and more like outsiders in their childrens' school.  If
                                        you can prove that you cause the reverse to happen that would
                                        be beneficial to you passing this Entry.
                                        Add a tear off strip to your newsletter for parents to respond to a question or request.  This feedback gives verification to your newsletter of parent response and participation.  This can be noted in your portfolio as total or percent of responses from parents.
                                      • SML
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 4, 2006
                                          Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access at home, would that be considered two way communication.  If it is, can I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement?  Thoughts?

                                          Sue
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                                            ;;)It is one-way communication UNLESS, the parent responds BACK to you.  You musthave documentation for this. Also a variety of ways you provide 2-way communication will be also considered for this entry as well consistency. Examples are emails, parent letters (with parent response), phones calls (with parent response), conferences(with parent response).

                                            Best Wishes,

                                            the scienceteacher

                                            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML <scarab8nbpts@...> wrote:

                                            > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access
                                            > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                                            > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                                            > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                                            >
                                            > Sue
                                            > --

                                          • Jeanne Elliott

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                                                thescienceteacher,

                                                I'm getting the big picture now. Thanks for responding.  So for documentation, the instructions say a single verifier is sufficient for any one accomplishment.  But, we can have up to 16 pages.  Are there certain types of accomplishments where the assessors are looking for more documentation and others where less is acceptable because they just get it?  For example: one of my accomplishment for leader/collaborator and  learner has been a huge two year undertaking with a lot going one.  My thought was, since this is so big and drawn out that I would use more documentation to show the different stages. On the other hand, the web page is relatively straight forward and I can verify it easily with less documentation.  Does that sound right?   Are artifacts better than verifiers for documentation? Or does it not make a difference?  Thanks so much for you comments, suggestions and answers to questions.

                                                Cheers,
                                                Sue

                                                --
                                              • SML

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                                                    Are there  certain types of accomplishments where the assessors are looking for  more documentation and others where less is acceptable because they just  get it?  No.   Remember the categories are parent/commuity, leader/collaborator,  and  learner.  You can have one article on your writing that targets all three aspects.  You just are not allowed to have more than the designated pages based on your porfolio instructions.  Scorers will only read up to the page limit and not futhur.

                                                    I have heard of candidates that have only submitted 3- accomplishment regarding the 3 aspects and received a 4.  It is what you are writing about and your documentation.  Ask yourself these questions: Does it appear to be consistent?  Is this just routine that all teachers are expected to do?  Are your artifacts dated within the time span allowed? Review your rubric for this entry as well.   Good luck.

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006

                                                      There is nothing wrong with verification forms versus artifacts.  Some use both.  Make sure whatever you send in is completed and dated appropriately.

                                                      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML <scarab8nbpts@...> wrote:

                                                      > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can access
                                                      > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                                                      > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                                                      > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                                                      >
                                                      > Sue
                                                      > --

                                                    • Annette Holder

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 5, 2006
                                                          SML,

                                                          I used documents more than the verification forms just because they seemed to "prove" my accomplishment better.

                                                          thescienceteacher wrote:

                                                          > ;;)It is one-way communication UNLESS, the parent responds BACK to
                                                          > you. You musthave documentation for this. Also a variety of ways you
                                                          > provide 2-way communication will be also considered for this entry as
                                                          > well consistency. Examples are emails, parent letters (with parent
                                                          > response), phones calls (with parent response), conferences(with
                                                          > parent response).
                                                          >
                                                          > Best Wishes,
                                                          >
                                                          > the scienceteacher
                                                          > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, SML wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Quick question, if I post grades on the Internet that parents can
                                                          > access
                                                          > > at home, would that be considered two way communication. If it is, can
                                                          > > I document student impact with a letter from a parent who has used this
                                                          > > resource as a method to motivate her child for improvement? Thoughts?
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Sue
                                                          > > --

                                                          > Secondary school education
                                                          >
                                                          > Graduate school education
                                                          >
                                                          > Home school education
                                                          >

                                                          > Graduate school education online
                                                          >
                                                          > High school education
                                                          >
                                                          > Chicago school education

                                                          > Service .

                                                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                                                        • saraellon
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                            I need suggestions on how I can engage parents and other adults in two-
                                                            way communication focused primarily on substantive teaching and
                                                            learning issues and individual student progress.
                                                            Area: Middle School Science
                                                          • tanyatebanks@cs.com
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                              I used online communication with a personal website to include science objectives, projects, homework, etc  I also used email lists I developed from a personal letter and sign up from open house. Parents emailed me when mid six weeks reports or in some cases weekly student summaries were sent home.  I used one email that I printed showing correspondence back and forth over a graded paper.

                                                              I also used email copies between other science teachers in my building. I also taught a science environmental enrichment class where the students wrote a news letter that was given out to all students and sent home.

                                                              Hope these ideas are good for you.
                                                            • LaDonna Mangum
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Dec 7, 2006
                                                                My best communication came in the form of emails.  I had one child in particular who was not doing well in my class.  His mother and I emailed regularly and I asked her for suggestions on ways in which she thought her child might be successful.

                                                                saraellon <saraellon@...> wrote:
                                                                I need suggestions on how I can engage parents and other adults in two-
                                                                way communication focused primarily on substantive teaching and
                                                                learning issues and individual student progress.
                                                                Area: Middle School Science

                                                                " Life is tough. It's tougher if you are stupid."