Portfolio

  • arholder2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2003
      I have just finished Entry 4, have reached yet another dead spot on
      entry 1, am totally disgusted with the video from entry 2. So I
      guess now I am feeling like I am not going to make it.

      I teach Physical Science to ninth graders. My Entry 1 "Big Idea" is
      change. The concept I am trying to make work is phase changes. I
      have a lesson where the students receive an ice cube and they record
      all observations in a chart, write a paragraph (writing is a big big
      deal in our school) and sketch what they think the molecules look
      like inside the cube. Then we do an activity where we all cram into
      a 1m square marked off on the floor. Didn't take them long to
      figure out that they had to be still. (solid) So then when I told
      them to wiggle a bit someone said they couldn't stay in the square.
      The middle activity the students created a comic strip depicting
      melting (or freezing) of some substance. And the technology part
      was an activity where the students had to determine the melting
      point of ice and the boiling point of water. All students used hot
      plates and regular thermometers, I had one group of students set up
      a station using the CBL probe. Then we compared the graphs created
      with the CBL with the ones collected by the regular thermometers.

      Okay, how does this sound? Documentation - 1. charts, paragraph,
      drawing, 2. cartoon 3. both graphs pictures of students
      performing activity.

      Annette
    • Cindy Brogan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2003

        Annette,

             As I read your description of what you were planning on doing, two things came to mind.  First, your "Big Idea" seems awfully BIG!  Have you thought about narrowing your focus to one of the content standards?  I reviewed them in the portfolio instructions and couldn't find a good reference for change, but did find something that seemed to fit what you were doing.  Look at this:

        STRUCTURE AND PROPERTIES OF MATTER

        Solids, liquids, and gases differ in the distances and angles between molecules or atoms and therefore the energy that binds them together. In solids the structure is nearly rigid; in liquids molecules or atoms move around each other but do not move apart; and in gases molecules or atoms move almost independently of each other and are mostly far apart.

        Also, this entry is your time to show your ability to show student's developing understanding through your instructional design, focusing on their misconceptions.  Your instructional sequence sounds fine so long as you are able to find and correct misconceptions through this sequence (evidenced in developing understanding in student work samples).   I couldn't tell from your description what your time frame was.

        In this entry, you will demonstrate how you analyze students´┐Ż progress toward attaining an understanding of an important scientific concept over time, explain how your analysis of student progress provides insight into your own instruction and how to improve it, and reflect on how your sequence of instructional strategies works to further student learning about science over time. The instructional period must range from a minimum of two weeks to a maximum of ten weeks.

        Your evidence of student work looks strong -- varied and could give you lots to work with.

        Be optimistic!  Good luck.

        Cindy, NBCT '03