About books to help.

  • sciquest2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 26, 2003
      I hope that everyone had a great Christmas! I am going to be NBCT
      in 2004...that is my purpose and vision. If not, I am not going to
      give up anyway. With that in mind, and since I have only done "cook
      book" labs with my students and have only went to one inquiry
      workshop this year ( because I never knew that I was suppose be
      teaching like this anyway till I read the standards) going through
      his NBCT process can be nerve racking. However, I am sticking with
      it.
      This means for me "finding" workshops on inquiry and how to assess
      student work and then finding books to get me updated or rather
      upgraded.
      Sooo without further ado...these were the books that I have read in
      the last 2 weeks (#4 I haven't finished and probably won't for a
      while)and will finish up 3 more before school starts back. They
      rated from the "BEST" down to "It's OK"
      1. "Inquire Within" by Douglas Llewellyn (you gotta have this one
      especially if you like me had little to no knowledge on inquiry)
      2. "Science as Inquiry" by Jack Hassard ( lots of good useful
      materials for Grades 5-8. Really like this guy's format.
      3. "Teaching Science as Inquiry" by Joel E. Bass ( big thick
      monster textbook, pricy, but thorough). He cuts no corners except
      your pocket book, $86.00. This is a college hardback text but good.
      4."NSTA Pathways to the Science Standards Middle School Edition" by
      Steven J. Rakow... the above books explain this book better.
      5." National Science Education Standards" by NRC. The above books
      explain this book better.
      6. "50 Terrific Science Experiments" by Elaine Wood and Pam
      Walker..it's ok but not inquiry based. Great for elementary
      teachers trying to do demonstrations and could modify these
      experiments into inquiry. Good start: under $15.00.
      7. "Weaving Science Inquiry and Continuous Assessement" by Carlson,
      Humphrey, and Reinhardt. Explains formative assessment in detail but
      to wordy and gets boring. Useful for small classes like elementary
      school not for middle school or high school. But it did bring
      clarity to me on the value of proper assessment.
      8."Portfolio Assessment-A Handbook for Educators" by Barton and
      Collins. Gives teacher stories on how they used portfolios. Heck
      they all sound like they already NBCT and I think they were. It's
      ok especially if portfolios were outlawed in your district like mine
      to a degree years ago. Good to bring back and get a clearer picture
      of the uses of portfoios but resouces are old.

      What's next on my list as UPS brings them?
      9. "Inquiry and the National Science Education Standards: A Guide
      for Teaching and Learning" By: Steve Olson, Susan Loucks-Horsley.
      ( found out you can read this for free and the National Academies
      web site)
      10. "Science for All Americans: Project 2061" by F. James Rutherford.
      11. "Benchmarks for Science Literacy (Benchmarks for Science
      Literacy, Project 2061" By: American Association for Advancement of
      Science

      Have a Happy New Year Guys
      The Science Teacher ---future NBTC 2004
    • Susie Skinner
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2003
        Wow, heavy reading. You probably have been doing inquiry without knowing that you do inquiry. I printed off your reading list to see what I have and have not read.

        Hang in there.
        SJS

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • bulleez
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
          To Science Teacher: Athough I haven't read all of the books on
          your list, I highly recommend the last two on your list. Science for
          All Americans, and Science Benchmarks. I heavily relied on
          them last year and I'm happy to say I passed the first time
          around. You are to be commended for your indepth research and
          committment to your students and to yourself. Keep plugging
          away. You will do fine. Good luck. Julie

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "sciquest2000"