Re: [EASCI] Re: Mentors

  • nelda phillips
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2003
      hello, I just certified this year and would love to help.  I think you should first get 2 books from NSTA the pathways for middle school and the national science standards this wil tell you what they are expecting from 6th graders.  I think the inquiry should be something they are interested in and something you could relate to their everyday lives.
      Let me know what else you made need.

      twins2@... wrote:
      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, eden908@h... wrote:
      > Well guys, I still don't have a mentor and I like I am that I am
      > like a needle in hay stack and alone in the haystack.  Plus if I
      > back out now, I will owe Oklahoma too much money that I want to pay
      > back.  So I am still going to do this.
      > Plus, I finally got to see what a portfolio looks like from a
      > special education teacher in my school.  She just walked up to me
      > one day and said. " I heard you are a candidate and I would like to
      > read for you if you would like."  Well she did read my stuff and
      boy
      > was I nervous about it.  She gave me lots of pointers in Entry 4
      and
      > let me read her portfolio.  It was very interesting.  Even though
      it
      > was not in science, she did agree to help me.  I was grateful.  So
      > have decided that I am finally going to stick with it but I am
      still
      > (scared as *&%$#).
      > My mentor is NBCT English--she realizes tha her weakness is content
      Science so at is wh I am here. I am a 2nd year person tha needs a few
      good ideas. What about a strong unit? I need help on video entry on
      inquiry through investigations? How much are tey looking for out of
      6th graders? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. SJS
      > The Science Teacher---  a hopeful NBCT in 2004

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • twins6990
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 19, 2003
        I have those books and use them some...use our State Standards more
        and find that the two do not align 100%. Should I lean more toward
        National Standards, or address the differences between State and
        National and then go only with State? My unit after Christmas is
        going to be ROCKS etc. because that is an area where State and
        National match most closely. Can I assume that by your stressing the
        importance of these two books, that these entries should include
        National lingo etc?

        I'm really hung up on this inquiry entry, mainly because it is time
        intensive and I want to make sure I am going in the correct direction
        before I arrange for videotaping etc.

        Should the "inquiry" be a part of a larger lesson OR can it be
        a "stand alone"? If the former-may have to be a part of
        rocks/soils/minerals etc. Is that a problem. I have to turn some
        focus to state test prep and that lend itself to quicker lessons -3-5
        days and move on. This year I have been doing "wacky Wednesdays" once
        a month. It is a problem solving small group activity, i.e. I present
        them with a problem like you have a build a boat to transport change
        across the river. You have x number of supplies and 20 minutes. The
        group that designs, builds and transports the most change "wins".
        Follow up HW and discussion surrounds the importance this situation
        plays in our area(we live on a major river). I visualize extending
        this activity to include more collection and presentation of data. Am
        I warm? I think the concept was the issue in 2003, I'm afraid I was
        off on what they wanted and my on-site mentor was lost to helping me
        tecicaly. Thanks and Merry Christmas. I will be working over the
        holidays so whenever you can answer that would be great.

        Grateful in Ohio.

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, nelda phillips <neldaphillips@y...>
        wrote:
        > hello, I just certified this year and would love to help. I think
        you should first get 2 books from NSTA the pathways for middle school
        and the national science standards this wil tell you what they are
        expecting from 6th graders. I think the inquiry should be something
        they are interested in and something you could relate to their
        everyday lives.
        > Let me know what else you made need.
        >
        > twins2@b... wrote:
        > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, eden908@h... wrote:
        > > Well guys, I still don't have a mentor and I like I am that I am
        > > like a needle in hay stack and alone in the haystack. Plus if I
        > > back out now, I will owe Oklahoma too much money that I want to
        pay
        > > back. So I am still going to do this.
        > > Plus, I finally got to see what a portfolio looks like from a
        > > special education teacher in my school. She just walked up to me
        > > one day and said. " I heard you are a candidate and I would like
        > > read for you if you would like." Well she did read my stuff and
        > boy
        > > was I nervous about it. She gave me lots of pointers in Entry 4
        > and
        > > let me read her portfolio. It was very interesting. Even though
        > it
        > > was not in science, she did agree to help me. I was grateful.
        So
        > > have decided that I am finally going to stick with it but I am
        > still
        > > (scared as *&%$#).
        > > My mentor is NBCT English--she realizes tha her weakness is
        content
        > Science so at is wh I am here. I am a 2nd year person tha needs a
        few
        > good ideas. What about a strong unit? I need help on video entry on
        > inquiry through investigations? How much are tey looking for out of
        > 6th graders? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. SJS
        > > The Science Teacher--- a hopeful NBCT in 2004

        Service.

      • Dottie Hayes
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2003
          I have heard that you should stay close to the national standards, using their lingo, etc...
           They are different from our state standards also.
          I am only a candidate this year so I am in the same boat. I am going to do stand alone inquiry lesson and discussion that will be followed by more lessons after the initial video. I think they want a fresh topic for these. My mentor said for #2 definitely they want no previous info so you get lots of questions from students.
          Good Luck!!!