RE: Mentors

  • eden908@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
      Well guys, I still don't have a mentor and I like I am that I am
      like a needle in hay stack and alone in the haystack. Plus if I
      back out now, I will owe Oklahoma too much money that I want to pay
      back. So I am still going to do this.
      Plus, I finally got to see what a portfolio looks like from a
      special education teacher in my school. She just walked up to me
      one day and said. " I heard you are a candidate and I would like to
      read for you if you would like." Well she did read my stuff and boy
      was I nervous about it. She gave me lots of pointers in Entry 4 and
      let me read her portfolio. It was very interesting. Even though it
      was not in science, she did agree to help me. I was grateful. So I
      have decided that I am finally going to stick with it but I am still
      (scared as *&%$#).

      The Science Teacher--- a hopeful NBCT in 2004
    • twins2@bright.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 16, 2003
        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, eden908@h... wrote:
        > Well guys, I still don't have a mentor and I like I am that I am
        > like a needle in hay stack and alone in the haystack. Plus if I
        > back out now, I will owe Oklahoma too much money that I want to pay
        > back. So I am still going to do this.
        > Plus, I finally got to see what a portfolio looks like from a
        > special education teacher in my school. She just walked up to me
        > one day and said. " I heard you are a candidate and I would like to
        > read for you if you would like." Well she did read my stuff and
        boy
        > was I nervous about it. She gave me lots of pointers in Entry 4
        and
        > let me read her portfolio. It was very interesting. Even though
        it
        > was not in science, she did agree to help me. I was grateful. So
        > have decided that I am finally going to stick with it but I am
        still
        > (scared as *&%$#).
        > My mentor is NBCT English--she realizes tha her weakness is content
        Science so at is wh I am here. I am a 2nd year person tha needs a few
        good ideas. What about a strong unit? I need help on video entry on
        inquiry through investigations? How much are tey looking for out of
        6th graders? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. SJS
        > The Science Teacher--- a hopeful NBCT in 2004
      • nelda phillips
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2003
          hello, I just certified this year and would love to help.  I think you should first get 2 books from NSTA the pathways for middle school and the national science standards this wil tell you what they are expecting from 6th graders.  I think the inquiry should be something they are interested in and something you could relate to their everyday lives.
          Let me know what else you made need.

          twins2@... wrote:
          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, eden908@h... wrote:
          > Well guys, I still don't have a mentor and I like I am that I am
          > like a needle in hay stack and alone in the haystack.  Plus if I
          > back out now, I will owe Oklahoma too much money that I want to pay
          > back.  So I am still going to do this.
          > Plus, I finally got to see what a portfolio looks like from a
          > special education teacher in my school.  She just walked up to me
          > one day and said. " I heard you are a candidate and I would like to
          > read for you if you would like."  Well she did read my stuff and
          boy
          > was I nervous about it.  She gave me lots of pointers in Entry 4
          and
          > let me read her portfolio.  It was very interesting.  Even though
          it
          > was not in science, she did agree to help me.  I was grateful.  So
          > have decided that I am finally going to stick with it but I am
          still
          > (scared as *&%$#).
          > My mentor is NBCT English--she realizes tha her weakness is content
          Science so at is wh I am here. I am a 2nd year person tha needs a few
          good ideas. What about a strong unit? I need help on video entry on
          inquiry through investigations? How much are tey looking for out of
          6th graders? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. SJS
          > The Science Teacher---  a hopeful NBCT in 2004

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • twins6990
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2003
            I have those books and use them some...use our State Standards more
            and find that the two do not align 100%. Should I lean more toward
            National Standards, or address the differences between State and
            National and then go only with State? My unit after Christmas is
            going to be ROCKS etc. because that is an area where State and
            National match most closely. Can I assume that by your stressing the
            importance of these two books, that these entries should include
            National lingo etc?

            I'm really hung up on this inquiry entry, mainly because it is time
            intensive and I want to make sure I am going in the correct direction
            before I arrange for videotaping etc.

            Should the "inquiry" be a part of a larger lesson OR can it be
            a "stand alone"? If the former-may have to be a part of
            rocks/soils/minerals etc. Is that a problem. I have to turn some
            focus to state test prep and that lend itself to quicker lessons -3-5
            days and move on. This year I have been doing "wacky Wednesdays" once
            a month. It is a problem solving small group activity, i.e. I present
            them with a problem like you have a build a boat to transport change
            across the river. You have x number of supplies and 20 minutes. The
            group that designs, builds and transports the most change "wins".
            Follow up HW and discussion surrounds the importance this situation
            plays in our area(we live on a major river). I visualize extending
            this activity to include more collection and presentation of data. Am
            I warm? I think the concept was the issue in 2003, I'm afraid I was
            off on what they wanted and my on-site mentor was lost to helping me
            tecicaly. Thanks and Merry Christmas. I will be working over the
            holidays so whenever you can answer that would be great.

            Grateful in Ohio.

            --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, nelda phillips <neldaphillips@y...>
            wrote:
            > hello, I just certified this year and would love to help. I think
            you should first get 2 books from NSTA the pathways for middle school
            and the national science standards this wil tell you what they are
            expecting from 6th graders. I think the inquiry should be something
            they are interested in and something you could relate to their
            everyday lives.
            > Let me know what else you made need.
            >
            > twins2@b... wrote:
            > --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, eden908@h... wrote:
            > > Well guys, I still don't have a mentor and I like I am that I am
            > > like a needle in hay stack and alone in the haystack. Plus if I
            > > back out now, I will owe Oklahoma too much money that I want to
            pay
            > > back. So I am still going to do this.
            > > Plus, I finally got to see what a portfolio looks like from a
            > > special education teacher in my school. She just walked up to me
            > > one day and said. " I heard you are a candidate and I would like
            > > read for you if you would like." Well she did read my stuff and
            > boy
            > > was I nervous about it. She gave me lots of pointers in Entry 4
            > and
            > > let me read her portfolio. It was very interesting. Even though
            > it
            > > was not in science, she did agree to help me. I was grateful.
            So
            > > have decided that I am finally going to stick with it but I am
            > still
            > > (scared as *&%$#).
            > > My mentor is NBCT English--she realizes tha her weakness is
            content
            > Science so at is wh I am here. I am a 2nd year person tha needs a
            few
            > good ideas. What about a strong unit? I need help on video entry on
            > inquiry through investigations? How much are tey looking for out of
            > 6th graders? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. SJS
            > > The Science Teacher--- a hopeful NBCT in 2004

            Service.

          • Dottie Hayes
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21, 2003
              I have heard that you should stay close to the national standards, using their lingo, etc...
               They are different from our state standards also.
              I am only a candidate this year so I am in the same boat. I am going to do stand alone inquiry lesson and discussion that will be followed by more lessons after the initial video. I think they want a fresh topic for these. My mentor said for #2 definitely they want no previous info so you get lots of questions from students.
              Good Luck!!!