Question about standards

  • dkaysmith
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2003
      If anyone who has pass can give me some adviced I would be grateful.
      I have 3 questions.

      1. I've videotaped lessons 2 and 3 and I am currently working on the
      write up for 3. I feel that I am doing a good job of answering the
      questions on the video analysis but I don't know how to reference it
      back to the standards. Can anyone explain to me how you referenced
      back to your writings back to the standards?

      2. I teach inclusion classes. Roughly 10 percent of my students are
      ESE students with learning disabilities. As I am doing my video
      writeup should I say for example "John who has a specific learning
      disablity said ........" or should I just say what he said and then
      what question I asked him to further his inquiry?

      3. This has to do with entry 2. I've taped this lesson 5 times now
      and am still not crazy about any of the videos. The one I feel gives
      the most misconceptions in on simple and compound machines. I have
      students classify the machines and then I asked them questions as to
      why they classified them simple or compound and then I asked if any
      other students agreed or disagreed and then I asked them to explain
      why. When NB talks about discourse I think there expecting to see
      everyone trying to talk at once but my video is like a volleyball
      match. I ask something, student answers, then another student makes
      a comment, then I ask something and the cycle repeats. Did anyone
      else have this problem? I really don't want to video this one again
      but at the same time I'm feeling really frustrated because I don't
      know if this is what the scorers are looking for.

      Any help will be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Donna
    • King, Emily
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2003
        I used key words from the standards in my analysis of the video. Using
        statements from the actual standards references without actually stating the
        standard. Key words are the key.
        I would state the child's disability in your explanations of comments to
        show diversity among your students.
        I just had discussion among the students like "I understand what he is
        saying but I think..." It was not an all out disagreement among the
        students. I also video taped the discussions in small groups as well during
        the activity to show the discussions of the kids on a small scale and me
        questioning them. The tape was a combination of small group and large group
        discussions of a concept and clearing up misconceptions.
        I just had to decide this is the tape and there will be no more taping.
        Your analysis is the key. Go with what you have and make it work