Re: Meeting students interests and needs

  • bulleez
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      I would chose a topic that is specifically one of the national
      standards. You could have the greatest lesson in the world, but
      if an assessor has been trained to look for appropriate
      standards, you might not get a passing score. My mentors last
      year steered me to this info time and time again. I passed my
      first time. good luck. Julie

      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "sciquest2000"
      <eden908@h...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the replies. But concerning weather, I was going to
      do
      > exactly what you had done. We live in tornado alley. And boy
      do I
      > have a lot to contribute if I did this topic. However when I
      viewed
      > the National Standards, it does not include Weather and
      Climate for
      > grades 5-8 only for K-4. If I am mistaken, I would like for
      someone
      > to correct me on that.However it is required of us to teach it in
      > the 8th grade for our state standardized tests.
      >
      > In regard to parents, I meet with parents very little in a social
      > climate. Our school can have transistory students and I don't
      think
      > at this point I want to say why. So I would need to probably give
      > something to students on day when our work load is not so
      busy and
      > have them work in cooperative groups to discuss and record
      > information about themselves and science.
      >
      > Also I found a web site that would print linear graphs of student
      > data if anyone is interested in this as well.
      >
      > Thanks again for your replies.
      >
      > The science teacher!!
    • sciquest2000
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
        Oh my gosh!!. Thanks Donna for all the...er... detail..LOL. I will
        read and look up the other standards...cool... Thanks for pointing
        me in the right direction.

        The science teacher
      • Karen Cahoon
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
          YES! Weather and Climate is there...Donna just showed you how to access
          it...Now, take that tornado alley concept and translate it into how
          important it is for students to know how to use weather to stay safe and
          interpret weather maps / forecasts. This is extremely relevant and
          important to them as students and as adults. Weather factors and
          patterns will always have a major influence in their lives, work or
          play.
          Karen
          NBCT EASCI '03

          >>> eden908@... 12/01/03 9:01 PM >>>
        • v1945@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
            In a message dated 12/1/2003 6:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, eden908@... writes:

            Also I found a web site that would print linear graphs of student
            data if anyone is interested in this as well.

            I would like to have this web site.  Sounds interesting!!!!
            NBCT 2001
          • sciquest2000
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
              This site will only plot data for linear graphs. However it is still
              a great on-line excercise. My students can use this to plot their
              data for their science projects and get a nice looking graph.
              The link is titled as "Create A Graph".

              http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/graphing/line_data.asp?b=15&totallines=1

              The Science Teacher

            • v1945@aol.com