Re: [EASCI] Re: Meeting students interests and needs

  • Donna M. Petty
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      Read carefully - I'll try to "Bold" the weather part for grades 5-8:

      Earth and Space Science

      CONTENT STANDARD D:
      As a result of their activities in grades 5-8, all students should develop an understanding of

      • Structure of the earth system
      • Earth's history
      • Earth in the solar system

      DEVELOPING STUDENT UNDERSTANDING

      A major goal of science in the middle grades is for students to develop an understanding of earth and the solar system as a set of closely coupled systems. The idea of systems provides a framework in which students can investigate the four major interacting components of the earth system--geosphere (crust, mantle, and core), hydro-sphere (water), atmosphere (air), and the biosphere (the realm of all living things). In this holistic approach to studying the planet, physical, chemical, and biological processes act within and among the four components on a wide range of time scales to change continuously earth's crust, oceans, atmosphere, and living organisms. Students can investigate the water and rock cycles as introductory examples of geophysical and geochemical cycles. Their study of earth's history provides some evidence about co-evolution of the planet's main features--the distribution of land and sea, features of the crust, the composition of the atmosphere, global climate, and populations of living organisms in the biosphere.

      By plotting the locations of volcanoes and earthquakes, students can see a pattern of geological activity. Earth has an outermost rigid shell called the lithosphere. It is made up of the crust and part of the upper mantle. It is broken into about a dozen rigid plates that move without deforming, except at boundaries where they collide. Those plates range in thickness from a few to more than 100 kilometers. Ocean floors are the tops of thin oceanic plates that spread outward from midocean rift zones; land surfaces are the tops of thicker, less-dense continental plates.

      Because students do not have direct contact with most of these phenomena and the long-term nature of the processes, some explanations of moving plates and the evolution of life must be reserved for late in grades 5-8. As students mature, the concept of evaporation can be reasonably well understood as the conservation of matter combined with a primitive idea of particles and the idea that air is real. Condensation is less well understood and requires extensive observation and instruction to complete an understanding of the water cycle.

      The understanding that students gain from their observations in grades K-4 provides the motivation and the basis from which they can begin to construct a model that explains the visual and physical relationships among earth, sun, moon, and the solar system. Direct observation and satellite data allow students to conclude that earth is a moving, spherical planet, having unique features that distinguish it from other planets in the solar system. From activities with trajectories and orbits and using the earth-sun-moon system as an example, students can develop the understanding that gravity is a ubiquitous force that holds all parts of the solar system together. Energy from the sun transferred by light and other radiation is the primary energy source for processes on earth's surface and in its hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere.

      By grades 5-8, students have a clear notion about gravity, the shape of the earth, and the relative positions of the earth, sun, and moon. Nevertheless, more than half of the students will not be able to use these models to explain the phases of the moon, and correct explanations for the seasons will be even more difficult to achieve.

      GUIDE TO THE CONTENT STANDARD

      Fundamental concepts and principles that underlie this standard include

      STRUCTURE OF THE EARTH SYSTEM

      • The solid earth is layered with a lithosphere; hot, convecting mantle; and dense, metallic core.
      • Lithospheric plates on the scales of continents and oceans constantly move at rates of centimeters per year in response to movements in the mantle. Major geological events, such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and mountain building, result from these plate motions.[See Content Standard F (grades 5-8) ]
      • Land forms are the result of a combination of constructive and destructive forces. Constructive forces include crustal deformation, volcanic eruption, and deposition of sediment, while destructive forces include weathering and erosion.
      • Some changes in the solid earth can be described as the "rock cycle." Old rocks at the earth's surface weather, forming sediments that are buried, then compacted, heated, and often recrystallized into new rock. Eventually, those new rocks may be brought to the surface by the forces that drive plate motions, and the rock cycle continues.
      • Soil consists of weathered rocks and decomposed organic material from dead plants, animals, and bacteria. Soils are often found in layers, with each having a different chemical composition and texture.
      • Water, which covers the majority of the earth's surface, circulates through the crust, oceans, and atmosphere in what is known as the "water cycle." Water evaporates from the earth's surface, rises and cools as it moves to higher elevations, condenses as rain or snow, and falls to the surface where it collects in lakes, oceans, soil, and in rocks underground.
      • Water is a solvent. As it passes through the water cycle it dissolves minerals and gases and carries them to the oceans.
      • The atmosphere is a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen, and trace gases that include water vapor. The atmosphere has different properties at different elevations.
      • Clouds, formed by the condensation of water vapor, affect weather and climate.
      • Global patterns of atmospheric movement influence local weather. Oceans have a major effect on climate, because water in the oceans holds a large amount of heat.
      • Living organisms have played many roles in the earth system, including affecting the composition of the atmosphere, producing some types of rocks, and contributing to the weathering of rocks.
      Even if all this wasn't in the National Standards - if you explain it's required of the state standards - you're still covered!! Hang in there!

      Donna M. Petty
      dpetty@...
      Class Page (http://home.usit.net/~dpetty/Class_Page/index.htm)
      Bahá'í Page (http://www.columbiabahai.org)

      "When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced.
      Live your life so that when you die the world cries
      and you rejoice".
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
        I would chose a topic that is specifically one of the national
        standards. You could have the greatest lesson in the world, but
        if an assessor has been trained to look for appropriate
        standards, you might not get a passing score. My mentors last
        year steered me to this info time and time again. I passed my
        first time. good luck. Julie

        --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "sciquest2000"
        <eden908@h...> wrote:
        > Thanks for the replies. But concerning weather, I was going to
        do
        > exactly what you had done. We live in tornado alley. And boy
        do I
        > have a lot to contribute if I did this topic. However when I
        viewed
        > the National Standards, it does not include Weather and
        Climate for
        > grades 5-8 only for K-4. If I am mistaken, I would like for
        someone
        > to correct me on that.However it is required of us to teach it in
        > the 8th grade for our state standardized tests.
        >
        > In regard to parents, I meet with parents very little in a social
        > climate. Our school can have transistory students and I don't
        think
        > at this point I want to say why. So I would need to probably give
        > something to students on day when our work load is not so
        busy and
        > have them work in cooperative groups to discuss and record
        > information about themselves and science.
        >
        > Also I found a web site that would print linear graphs of student
        > data if anyone is interested in this as well.
        >
        > Thanks again for your replies.
        >
        > The science teacher!!
      • sciquest2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
          Oh my gosh!!. Thanks Donna for all the...er... detail..LOL. I will
          read and look up the other standards...cool... Thanks for pointing
          me in the right direction.

          The science teacher
        • Karen Cahoon
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
            YES! Weather and Climate is there...Donna just showed you how to access
            it...Now, take that tornado alley concept and translate it into how
            important it is for students to know how to use weather to stay safe and
            interpret weather maps / forecasts. This is extremely relevant and
            important to them as students and as adults. Weather factors and
            patterns will always have a major influence in their lives, work or
            play.
            Karen
            NBCT EASCI '03

            >>> eden908@... 12/01/03 9:01 PM >>>
          • v1945@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
              In a message dated 12/1/2003 6:56:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, eden908@... writes:

              Also I found a web site that would print linear graphs of student
              data if anyone is interested in this as well.

              I would like to have this web site.  Sounds interesting!!!!
              NBCT 2001
            • sciquest2000
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
                This site will only plot data for linear graphs. However it is still
                a great on-line excercise. My students can use this to plot their
                data for their science projects and get a nice looking graph.
                The link is titled as "Create A Graph".

                http://nces.ed.gov/nceskids/graphing/line_data.asp?b=15&totallines=1

                The Science Teacher

              • v1945@aol.com