Re: About Sticking to the Standards for all you NBTC scorers

  • sciquest2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2003
      Well, this summer our district decided to align our curriculum
      according to the National Standards. However we were told that
      thiscriteria that was set but it was not a limitation. They didn't
      put anything else in our cirriculum guides. Well for the first time
      in years of teaching, I was handed the National Standards and
      Pathways to Middle school science by a friend I met in another
      city. It was an eye opener for me. I never new about open-ended
      inquiry. I gave labs but found out more was expected other than
      cookbook labs. I never knew what was expected of me as a middle
      school science teacher according to those standards.
      My district is not a leader in science teaching and is very
      closed. They believe that teachers need to stay in the classroom
      and not venture out for professional development other than what
      they provided locally. I was told twice not attend an NSTA
      convention. So for the last 2 years I finally resented that and my
      own complacency. I renewed my NSTA dues anyway and never knew for 15
      years that there was a state science organization. I decided to go
      for my NBTC but as of last night I am feeling very inadequate and
      really not prepared for this. I did attend an inquiry workshop in
      August in another city and it was very good. I used what they said
      in regard to inquiry and my students loved the activity and so did
      I.
      But right now I haven't had the time to adjust my cirriculum to all
      the changes that I would like to do. By that I mean using inquiry
      more frequently. I am going to try to submit my entries but I am
      not very hopeful for good results. So I am on my own. In this city
      of 95000 people nobody is NBTC in science.
      Wish me luck.
      Science Teacher