Re: [EASCI] About Sticking to the Standards for all you NBTC scorers

  • Tina Oshima
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2003
      I had to include standards that were above what the National Standards called for.  I let them know that I knew they were not listed for my grade but that my district/state standards required that I teach them at that level.  I don't think it made a difference in my scoring.  I did make sure to address it in my writing.
      Tina
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2003
        Well, this summer our district decided to align our curriculum
        according to the National Standards. However we were told that
        thiscriteria that was set but it was not a limitation. They didn't
        put anything else in our cirriculum guides. Well for the first time
        in years of teaching, I was handed the National Standards and
        Pathways to Middle school science by a friend I met in another
        city. It was an eye opener for me. I never new about open-ended
        inquiry. I gave labs but found out more was expected other than
        cookbook labs. I never knew what was expected of me as a middle
        school science teacher according to those standards.
        My district is not a leader in science teaching and is very
        closed. They believe that teachers need to stay in the classroom
        and not venture out for professional development other than what
        they provided locally. I was told twice not attend an NSTA
        convention. So for the last 2 years I finally resented that and my
        own complacency. I renewed my NSTA dues anyway and never knew for 15
        years that there was a state science organization. I decided to go
        for my NBTC but as of last night I am feeling very inadequate and
        really not prepared for this. I did attend an inquiry workshop in
        August in another city and it was very good. I used what they said
        in regard to inquiry and my students loved the activity and so did
        I.
        But right now I haven't had the time to adjust my cirriculum to all
        the changes that I would like to do. By that I mean using inquiry
        more frequently. I am going to try to submit my entries but I am
        not very hopeful for good results. So I am on my own. In this city
        of 95000 people nobody is NBTC in science.
        Wish me luck.
        Science Teacher