About Sticking to the Standards for all you NBTC scorers

  • sciquest2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2003
      I have some concerns about the National Science Standards. I knew
      about teaching physical and chemical change for 8th grade but I
      always taught about atomic structure as well(our NBTC handbook says
      to avoid teaching this because is too difficult for 8th grade
      level). I also taught about the Periodic Table in terms of
      classification but the standards leave this out at the middle school
      level as well. And yes, I use labs showing the 4 main types of
      reactions synthesis, decomposition, single replacement reactions,
      and double replacement reactions which seems to be fine according to
      the standards because I try let students qualitatively determine
      physical and chemical changes that take place simulataneously.

      I guess my concern is could I justify teaching the periodic table
      and atomic structure by using my Honor's 8th grade class then? Does
      scoring count against you when you teach above the national
      standards on occasion?

      thanks
    • Tina Oshima
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2003
        I had to include standards that were above what the National Standards called for.  I let them know that I knew they were not listed for my grade but that my district/state standards required that I teach them at that level.  I don't think it made a difference in my scoring.  I did make sure to address it in my writing.
        Tina

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 18, 2003
          Well, this summer our district decided to align our curriculum
          according to the National Standards. However we were told that
          thiscriteria that was set but it was not a limitation. They didn't
          put anything else in our cirriculum guides. Well for the first time
          in years of teaching, I was handed the National Standards and
          Pathways to Middle school science by a friend I met in another
          city. It was an eye opener for me. I never new about open-ended
          inquiry. I gave labs but found out more was expected other than
          cookbook labs. I never knew what was expected of me as a middle
          school science teacher according to those standards.
          My district is not a leader in science teaching and is very
          closed. They believe that teachers need to stay in the classroom
          and not venture out for professional development other than what
          they provided locally. I was told twice not attend an NSTA
          convention. So for the last 2 years I finally resented that and my
          own complacency. I renewed my NSTA dues anyway and never knew for 15
          years that there was a state science organization. I decided to go
          for my NBTC but as of last night I am feeling very inadequate and
          really not prepared for this. I did attend an inquiry workshop in
          August in another city and it was very good. I used what they said
          in regard to inquiry and my students loved the activity and so did
          I.
          But right now I haven't had the time to adjust my cirriculum to all
          the changes that I would like to do. By that I mean using inquiry
          more frequently. I am going to try to submit my entries but I am
          not very hopeful for good results. So I am on my own. In this city
          of 95000 people nobody is NBTC in science.
          Wish me luck.
          Science Teacher