Re: [EASCI] entry 1

  • Kathy Dozier
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 27 2:06 PM
      Did your students have anything, pictures or drawings to
      use as a guide? What grade are you teaching? I know that
      showing growth is a good thing, but I'm not yet sure about
      what they know now. Did they write anything up with this
      lab? Did they look at slides? Was this an introductory,
      exploratory lab? Your write up on the activity will help
      explain much of this.
      My students, 7th graders, just drew pictures of an
      organelle in the cell and made a short story, poem or song
      about the organelle and it's function. They did this
      after they read took notes on the section in the book, we
      talked about it in class and they looked at cells under a
      microscope. I found it was hard for them to understand
      the concept about the organelles inside cells since it's
      hard just to see a cell in the classroom.
      I guess what I am asking you is did they have enough
      background to do the drawings?
      Kathy
    • bebadog
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
        I am really confused about entry one. My big concept is on motion.
        My three entries are: a lab activity exploring the effects of friction
        on different surfaces. Students measured the distance objects
        traveled different surfaces and graphed their results. They then wrote
        a conclusion. The conclusion was suppose to inculde how friction
        played into the demo. I had some students that just told results
        instead of using the term friction. What is the best way to handle
        this? I worte a comment how they were on the right track but to
        please add more to the conclusion by telling about the friction that
        was present.

        The second entry is on the relationship between mass of an object and
        the distance traveled. I am still designing this one. I am playing
        around with including momentum with this, but I am not sure yet.
        The third is going to be taken from one of the interactive inaternet
        activities the students are working on in computer lab. My concerns are:
        1) are these ideas not connected enough
        2) if a student shows a misconception during the friction lab is
        appropriate to write on the lab report info that will clarify the
        misconception.
        I don't understand how to show student growth since the assignments
        are so different.
        I have a feeling I am totally off track on this. I will appreciate
        any suggestions.
        Thanks,
        Mary