entry 1

  • bebadog
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2003
      I am really having a hard time deciding on topics also. Should I try
      out several ideas or pick a topic and go for it? Any suggestions on
      the best method?
    • Dottie Hayes
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 26, 2003
        I did a lab activity (drawing cells) for activity 1/entry 1. Most of my students'  look like polka dotted squares. I know they want to see understanding over time. I wonder if it is good to start out with (obvious) little understanding then by activity 3 show that the students say "oh, thats what those little dots were".
        I may have to choose another topic and pick the best.
        Is anybody out there in north east florida?
        Dottie

      • Kathy Dozier
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 27, 2003
          Did your students have anything, pictures or drawings to
          use as a guide? What grade are you teaching? I know that
          showing growth is a good thing, but I'm not yet sure about
          what they know now. Did they write anything up with this
          lab? Did they look at slides? Was this an introductory,
          exploratory lab? Your write up on the activity will help
          explain much of this.
          My students, 7th graders, just drew pictures of an
          organelle in the cell and made a short story, poem or song
          about the organelle and it's function. They did this
          after they read took notes on the section in the book, we
          talked about it in class and they looked at cells under a
          microscope. I found it was hard for them to understand
          the concept about the organelles inside cells since it's
          hard just to see a cell in the classroom.
          I guess what I am asking you is did they have enough
          background to do the drawings?
          Kathy
        • bebadog
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
            I am really confused about entry one. My big concept is on motion.
            My three entries are: a lab activity exploring the effects of friction
            on different surfaces. Students measured the distance objects
            traveled different surfaces and graphed their results. They then wrote
            a conclusion. The conclusion was suppose to inculde how friction
            played into the demo. I had some students that just told results
            instead of using the term friction. What is the best way to handle
            this? I worte a comment how they were on the right track but to
            please add more to the conclusion by telling about the friction that
            was present.

            The second entry is on the relationship between mass of an object and
            the distance traveled. I am still designing this one. I am playing
            around with including momentum with this, but I am not sure yet.
            The third is going to be taken from one of the interactive inaternet
            activities the students are working on in computer lab. My concerns are:
            1) are these ideas not connected enough
            2) if a student shows a misconception during the friction lab is
            appropriate to write on the lab report info that will clarify the
            misconception.
            I don't understand how to show student growth since the assignments
            are so different.
            I have a feeling I am totally off track on this. I will appreciate
            any suggestions.
            Thanks,
            Mary