Assessment Center Exercises

  • canderson@xxxxx.xxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 1999
      I agree with you on your take of the assessment center exercises. I also am a
      middle school science teacher who teaches 8th grade physical science. Although
      I am one of the lucky ones who passed, I felt that I was cheated a bit on the
      assessment center side.
      To begin with, it is really unrealistic for anyone to expect a middle school
      science teacher to be versed in every single science subject, especially if you
      are like some of us and were secondary trained. I have really never even had
      a geology course so asking me earth science questions is really asking me to
      take a shot in the dark. For those teachers who teach a variety of middle
      school sciences or who are generalists, I think the assessment would have been
      easier. I was hoping they were going to test me on things I do, not on things
      I don't know. All of my assessment was in areas opposite of my strength of
      physics and chemistry.
      Secondly, I thought they expected you to do too much at the assessment center.
      How could you adequately plan and write about activities and assessments if you
      have too many areas to write on? I took the whole 90 minutes each time and I
      did not have time to go back and rewrite (although the format for taking the test
      really did not encourage anyone to be able to format or relook at your entry). I
      felt that I really was not able to go into any depth in any area as I was just
      trying to get the questions answered.
      And lastly, I agree with you on the types of people they use as assessors. In
      order to be qualified as an assessor, you just needed to have taught science and
      be certified in science. You could have gotten an elementary teacher, a middle
      level teacher, or a high school teacher. I also question the background of some
      teachers - many have never heard of the constructivist method of teaching, the
      learning cycle, etc. Also, unless you have been in an 8th grade classroom, you
      would probably not be able to tell what types of activities would work and which
      wouldn't. I know that I might not be able to accurately predict a proper 6th
      grade activity.
      I know there were some problems with the assessment center as evidenced by
      the low passing rate of EA/science candidates. How did you become aware of actual
      discrepancies of scoring, etc? I would like to know that information.
      Thanks for listening
      Cathy A
    • byrdscience
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6 12:22 PM
        In preparing for the assessment center, I was wondering if you could
        suggest some ideas or resources. I feel comfortable with most of the
        topics and have been reading the Pathways book to the NSES. However,
        for the question on interrelationships I draw blanks -except for
        several life science or STS ideas. Ideas from chemistry, physics or
        earth in this area would be wonderful. I also want to thank
        everyone for your advice and support as I prepared my portfolio. It
        made a huge difference! Thanks.

        Nancy S.
      • v1945@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6 4:17 PM
          I am attaching a list of books that Mary Lightbody, president elect of SECO, ( and a NBCT) put together for our presentation at state convention for prospective applicants.
          I also used text books from gds 6 through HS, borrowed from several teachers and public library. I read the summary of each chapter and then studied the chapters on subjects, like periodic table, that I do not teach in 6th grade.
          Another book I like for me and my students is Everything you Need to Know About Science paperback from Scholastic.  It has basic facts about all science areas and then I could look further if I did not feel comfortable.

          I took 6/90 min tests, so mine was structured differently than yours.  I overheard some recent NBCTs talking, that they needed basic info and needed to describe how they would teach the lesson.

          Be sure you visit the NBPTS web site and try out their practice test.  Most candidates say it really helps!
          Best of luck!!!
          Vicki Kraner NBPTS