The Retake Blahs

  • deresz_d@xxxxxxx.xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 1999
      Dear Patrick,

      I plan to retake one section if I win a Florida retake lottery. I too, did not do well at the assessment center, so I can't help you. Worse, I don't have a clue why some of my scores are poor and others are excellent on any of the sections and neither does a colleague who "passed." Furthermore, when comparing raw scores of EA/SCI NB participants, there appears to be a pattern in each section's assessors' award of the raw scores (i.e., some sections are consistently high, while others are consistently low).

      I want to read my assessors' notes and remarks of this subjective process! I'm not even sure they're aware of current science education trends, much less middle school science teachers. (If you feel this way, please join me in writing Betty Castor, the newly appointed chairperson of the NB.)

      As an aside, I have noted during my career an elitist bias projected by many senior high school science teachers against middle school teachers. Woa on us if our assessors were a group of high school science teachers or non-science teachers!

      Happy Holidays,

      Don Deresz