entry 1

  • Dottie Hayes
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
      Do we choose the same students to show work samples for each activity in entry 1 or different students for each activity?

    • Karen Cahoon
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
        Choose 2 students and show work sample for each of the 3 activities.

        >>> artwoman69@... 09/11/03 3:45 PM >>>
        Do we choose the same students to show work samples for each activity in
        entry 1 or different students for each activity?

      • Dawn Hicks
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
          Same
          Dawn Hicks
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 15, 2003
            You are trying to show the progress of the students in
            your class, so your final write-up should concentrate
            on two students. The assignments I selected were an
            introductory assignment to show student misconceptions
            and how I would address them, an inquiry based
            assignment, and a student project. Student A did a
            traditional report while student B did a PowerPoint
            Presentation. This showed meeting individual needs.

            Be sure to collect assignments on more than two
            students. If one of your students does not turn in an
            assignment or moves, this will leave you in a bind. I
            collected all assignments and sorted later.

            Also be sure to select students of different ability.
            I selected a low student and a middle level student
            who was proficient in computers.

            Mike
            --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
            > Do we choose the same students to show work samples
            > for each activity in entry 1 or different students
            > for each activity?

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Dottie Hayes
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 22, 2003
              I teach 7th grade.
              I am doing the concept of "levels of organization in a living organism"
              cells>tissue>organ>system>organism
              This is a hard one but hopefully they will get it and show they get it.
              Dottie

            • bebadog
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 25, 2003
                I am really having a hard time deciding on topics also. Should I try
                out several ideas or pick a topic and go for it? Any suggestions on
                the best method?
              • Dottie Hayes
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 26, 2003
                  I did a lab activity (drawing cells) for activity 1/entry 1. Most of my students'  look like polka dotted squares. I know they want to see understanding over time. I wonder if it is good to start out with (obvious) little understanding then by activity 3 show that the students say "oh, thats what those little dots were".
                  I may have to choose another topic and pick the best.
                  Is anybody out there in north east florida?
                  Dottie

                • Kathy Dozier
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 27, 2003
                    Did your students have anything, pictures or drawings to
                    use as a guide? What grade are you teaching? I know that
                    showing growth is a good thing, but I'm not yet sure about
                    what they know now. Did they write anything up with this
                    lab? Did they look at slides? Was this an introductory,
                    exploratory lab? Your write up on the activity will help
                    explain much of this.
                    My students, 7th graders, just drew pictures of an
                    organelle in the cell and made a short story, poem or song
                    about the organelle and it's function. They did this
                    after they read took notes on the section in the book, we
                    talked about it in class and they looked at cells under a
                    microscope. I found it was hard for them to understand
                    the concept about the organelles inside cells since it's
                    hard just to see a cell in the classroom.
                    I guess what I am asking you is did they have enough
                    background to do the drawings?
                    Kathy
                  • bebadog
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                      I am really confused about entry one. My big concept is on motion.
                      My three entries are: a lab activity exploring the effects of friction
                      on different surfaces. Students measured the distance objects
                      traveled different surfaces and graphed their results. They then wrote
                      a conclusion. The conclusion was suppose to inculde how friction
                      played into the demo. I had some students that just told results
                      instead of using the term friction. What is the best way to handle
                      this? I worte a comment how they were on the right track but to
                      please add more to the conclusion by telling about the friction that
                      was present.

                      The second entry is on the relationship between mass of an object and
                      the distance traveled. I am still designing this one. I am playing
                      around with including momentum with this, but I am not sure yet.
                      The third is going to be taken from one of the interactive inaternet
                      activities the students are working on in computer lab. My concerns are:
                      1) are these ideas not connected enough
                      2) if a student shows a misconception during the friction lab is
                      appropriate to write on the lab report info that will clarify the
                      misconception.
                      I don't understand how to show student growth since the assignments
                      are so different.
                      I have a feeling I am totally off track on this. I will appreciate
                      any suggestions.
                      Thanks,
                      Mary