Videotaping Student Release Forms

  • sciquest2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2003
      I only got back 35% of the permission forms to from parents. I was
      really disappointed. I had them mailed and the parents could send
      them back via the students. I guess I am going to spend all this
      week phone calling parents to get them back. Any suggestions? And
      yes I brought this up at our Open House.

      thanks
    • Peggy Brody
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2003
        A good suggestion. Put those kids who brought the slips in the front of the
        room and make sure your film footage gets them only. Since you will need
        to show group work, go to their groups only. If you place the camera on the
        side of the room, you will not get the back.
        Peggy
        > I only got back 35% of the permission forms to from parents. I was
        > really disappointed. I had them mailed and the parents could send
        > them back via the students. I guess I am going to spend all this
        > week phone calling parents to get them back. Any suggestions? And
        > yes I brought this up at our Open House.
        >

        > thanks

      • Donna M. Petty

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2003
            In a message dated 9/7/2003 7:55:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, eden908@... writes:

            I only got back 35% of the permission forms to from parents.  I was
            really disappointed.  I had them mailed and the parents could send
            them back via the students.  I guess I am going to spend all this
            week phone calling parents to get them back.  Any suggestions?  And
            yes I brought this up at our Open House.

            I asked my principal to write a letter stating that this challenge for me was beneficial to my students (their children) and suggesting that parents support our school by signing the permission to tape form.  I also sent a request letter explaining that the student's names would only be listed as first names and that the video would be viewed by a small group of assessors.
            I did allow a student without a permission slip to run the video camera (on a tripod)
            Best of luck!
          • Mike Ludwig
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 11, 2003
              I made sure to emphasize the confidentiality of the
              students and the fact that I was using the video to
              improve my teaching. I also gave candy to students
              who returned their forms signed. 100% (about 150
              students)of my 7th and 8th graders returned positive
              slips. Mike

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com