Re: [EASCI] Oklahoma Candidate Support Training

  • Dottie Hayes
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hello!
      I live in Fl and am considering NB certification.
      I was also told to start on number 4. I think this can
      include college classes you took, tutoring after
      hours, community involvement and any parent
      communication. I am going to start a bi-weekly
      newsletter this fall to help with that.
      Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?
      Any other suggestions as to what I could start doing
      this summer would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks!

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • nankwh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
        I congratulate you on your decision. This is a very challenging task, but deifnitely worth it. I am also in Florida and certified in EA/SCI in 1999. I'd be happy to help you. I would suggest that you download the portfolio instructions (it is a large booklet in pdf format, so go where you can access a high speed printer, or leave lots of time for this) and start to read, read, read. The Florida Dale Hickam/Excellent Teaching Program subsidizes 90% of the fee, so do not apply and pay until you have checked with your county personnel department for the procedures to follow. Contact me if I can be of any help.
        Nancy Hosie
        St Lucie County
        nankwh@...
      • Barbara Mustipher
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
          You may want to consider signing up for
          Schoolnotes.com. Posting my homework assignments has
          been a great means of communication with parents and
          students who are absent or who simply did not record
          the assginement during class.
          --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
          > Hello!
          > I live in Fl and am considering NB certification.
          > I was also told to start on number 4. I think this
          > can
          > include college classes you took, tutoring after
          > hours, community involvement and any parent
          > communication. I am going to start a bi-weekly
          > newsletter this fall to help with that.
          > Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?
          > Any other suggestions as to what I could start doing
          > this summer would be greatly appreciated.
          > Thanks!
          > --- Nora <american_chokolate@...> wrote:
          > > Ok, I got back from my state support training
          > > workshop. It was
          > > pretty good but still overwhelming. We were told
          > > begin on our
          > > Entry 4 this summer which would give us time to
          > work
          > > on the other
          > > entries during the school year. Hmmm...I learned
          > > alot and my
          > > facilitator for my group was pretty good.
          > > Boy this is a lot of documentation..... I am
          > having
          > > second thoughts
          > > about persuing it for this year. Will let you all
          > > know in about 2
          > > weeks... (Goes to the home office to meditates)

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Mike Ludwig
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
            When sending home newsletters, consider sending a copy
            home as an e-mail. This leads to tons of
            communication with parents and shows an exceptional
            use of technology. It also makes documenting very
            easy, just keep copies of everything you send and
            receive. A couple of back and forth dialogs with
            parents go a long ways in entry 4.

            --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
            > Hello!
            > I live in Fl and am considering NB certification.
            > I was also told to start on number 4. I think this
            > can
            > include college classes you took, tutoring after
            > hours, community involvement and any parent
            > communication. I am going to start a bi-weekly
            > newsletter this fall to help with that.
            > Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?
            > Any other suggestions as to what I could start doing
            > this summer would be greatly appreciated.
            > Thanks!
            > --- Nora <american_chokolate@...> wrote:
            > > Ok, I got back from my state support training
            > > workshop. It was
            > > pretty good but still overwhelming. We were told
            > > begin on our
            > > Entry 4 this summer which would give us time to
            > work
            > > on the other
            > > entries during the school year. Hmmm...I learned
            > > alot and my
            > > facilitator for my group was pretty good.
            > > Boy this is a lot of documentation..... I am
            > having
            > > second thoughts
            > > about persuing it for this year. Will let you all
            > > know in about 2
            > > weeks... (Goes to the home office to meditates)

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • Dawn Hicks
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
              Nora,
              The newsleteer is good as long as there is a way for the parents to provide feedback on what is in it.
              Dawn Hicks