Entry 4 idea

  • kcourtney@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 1999
      I was considering using a lab activity on gravitational force and orbits (from Prentice Hall series). It involves some materials like metal washers, tubing, fishing line, styrofoam ball, etc. Students will determine the relationship between the period of revolution of an object and the force pulling on the orbiting object. I plan on having 7 groups of 3-4 students within each group. I would videotape the students in a class or small group discussion about the data had been collected, create discussion about their interpretations of the data, and draw conclusions. (I will be using Mr. Tripod)Could it be a discussion moving into small groups and back into a whole class disccusion as I may ask students to revisit their particular data and discuss why they may have obtained different data then another group??? As I read the directions for this entry, it says that the investigation should involve more than following a "cookbook" recipe. This lab involves students following directions, making observations and analyzing their data. Is this a "cookbook" recipe? If so, I could then have students make predictions to the experiement by changing the length of the string or change the mass of distance to see how the revolution of the ball changes. Any ideas? Thanks, Kelly