Re: [EASCI] Assessment Center Exercises

  • v1945@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2003
      I am attaching a list of books that Mary Lightbody, president elect of SECO, ( and a NBCT) put together for our presentation at state convention for prospective applicants.
      I also used text books from gds 6 through HS, borrowed from several teachers and public library. I read the summary of each chapter and then studied the chapters on subjects, like periodic table, that I do not teach in 6th grade.
      Another book I like for me and my students is Everything you Need to Know About Science paperback from Scholastic.  It has basic facts about all science areas and then I could look further if I did not feel comfortable.

      I took 6/90 min tests, so mine was structured differently than yours.  I overheard some recent NBCTs talking, that they needed basic info and needed to describe how they would teach the lesson.

      Be sure you visit the NBPTS web site and try out their practice test.  Most candidates say it really helps!
      Best of luck!!!
      Vicki Kraner NBPTS

      In preparing for the assessment center, I was wondering if you could
      suggest some ideas or resources. I feel comfortable with most of the
      topics and have been reading the Pathways book to the NSES. However,
      for the question on interrelationships I draw blanks -except for
      several life science or STS ideas. Ideas from chemistry, physics or
      earth in this area would be wonderful.  I also want to thank
      everyone for your advice and support as I prepared my portfolio. It
      made a huge difference! Thanks.

      Nancy S.