Re: [EASCI] Entry 2

  • Donna M. Petty
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 9, 2003
      Hey Nancy,

      As far as your first question - I interpreted this as meaning the difference between using basic process skills, which can be used alone in many activities, and the integrated ones where you actually have a process to follow like with scientific method. Here's something I found that helped and that I use in putting together the journal entries for my students:

      Process Skills

      Basic Science Process Skills

      Observing - using the senses to gather information about an object or event. Example: Describing a pencil as yellow.

      Inferring - making an "educated guess" about an object or event based on previously gathered data or information. Example: Saying that the person who used a pencil made a lot of mistakes because the eraser was well worn.

      Measuring - using both standard and nonstandard measures or estimates to describe the dimensions of an object or event. Example: Using a meter stick to measure the length of a table in centimeters.

      Communicating - using words or graphic symbols to describe an action, object or event. Example: Describing the change in height of a plant over time in writing or through a graph.

      Classifying - grouping or ordering objects or events into categories based on properties or criteria. Example: Placing all rocks having certain grain size or hardness into one group.

      Predicting - stating the outcome of a future event based on a pattern of evidence. Example: Predicting the height of a plant in two weeks time based on a graph of its growth during the previous four weeks.

      Integrated Science Process Skills

      Controlling variables - being able to identify variables that can affect an experimental outcome, keeping most constant while manipulating only the independent variable. Example: Realizing through past experiences that amount of light and water need to be controlled when testing to see how the addition of organic matter affects the growth of beans.

      Defining operationally - stating how to measure a variable in an experiment. Example: Stating that bean growth will be measured in centimeters per week.

      Formulating hypotheses - stating the expected outcome of an experiment. Example: The greater the amount of organic matter added to the soil, the greater the bean growth.

      Interpreting data - organizing data and drawing conclusions from it. Example: Recording data from the experiment on bean growth in a data table and forming a conclusion which relates trends in the data to variables.

      Experimenting - being able to conduct an experiment, including asking an appropriate question, stating a hypothesis, identifying and controlling variables, operationally defining those variables, designing a "fair" experiment, conducting the experiment, and interpreting the results of the experiment. Example: The entire process of conducting the experiment on the affect of organic matter on the growth of bean plants.

      Formulating models - creating a mental or physical model of a process or event. Examples: The model of how the processes of evaporation and condensation interrelate in the water cycle.

      Now, speaking of Journal entries - I'm attaching a copy of my rubric I made to grade these. It has actually probably benefited me the most. If you'll look at the two middle areas, concepts and process skills, when you as a teacher actually have to write down for your students an example like I have also attached - and think how every activity helped meet the state science standard AND have to think of what process skills they used and how, it really helped me see what was really good in the lesson and what I needed to revise or find a better activity for. I realized that some of my activities still weren't hitting the target as well as they should. For my students, they actually have to think about what we do in class each day. It seemed they'd pile into class, do the activities, discuss them, and the next day they'd forget what they'd done and how it was supposed to help them learn. I sure hope this helps somewhat. Hang in there!

      "When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced.
      Live your life so that when you die the world cries
      and you rejoice".
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 1, 2005
        To those of you who are board certified: Did you all use a discovery
        lab or a type of lab that generated a discrepant event? I had the
        students discuss what they knew about earthquakes and tsunami taking
        my cue from world events. I really like how my video came out. I
        have even written the entry but now I am second guessing myself.
        Do you find that every entry MUST have inquiry labs? I do many
        activities where the students research questions they may have using
        the internet.
        In search of opinions,
        Jeanne