Assessment Center

  • tsunamiscience <TsunamiScience@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2003
      Anyone have any tips for the assessment center? What kinds of things
      did you do to prepare? What would you wish that you had done?
    • Dawn Hicks
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2003
        I found the questions on the assessment to be fair and focused on the knowledge of science.  Just look over what it says about each area in the information you've received and good luck.
        DAwn Hicks
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2003
          I took the exam this past summer and found that the questions covered basic information, nothing threatening!  Look over the Benchmark topics.  Reading an integrated science text would be a good review!  Good luck.  Tricia NBCT
        • arholder2003
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 7, 2004
            I am planning to do the assessment center portion in May. I have
            taught 7th, 8th, and 9th grade science for 14 years. I am
            comfortable with my knowledge in these areas. I have begun reading
            and studying 5th & 6th grade texts to familarize myself with science
            at those grade levels. Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

            Annette
          • Amy
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
              This group looks like it might have fizzled out. I was wondering if anyone had tips for the Assessment Center, it feels very vague despite what NBTC has put out there.
            • Phillip Wooley
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
                Amy,
                I achieved in 2007 on a retake.  Here is my recollection of the Assessment Center:  I entered the test site and was asked to empty my pockets into a locker.  The prompts are timed and a clock appears at the top of the screen.  The first prompt- I knew nothing.  I B.S.'d for 20 minutes- I know the assessors must have laughed when they read my entry.  However, the second and third prompt were things that I had recently taught.  I did well on the assessment center although it was quite unnerving.
                Read textbooks for grades you do not teach. Read lab manuals.
                Good luck.

                Phillip C. Wooley

                This group looks like it might have fizzled out. I was wondering if anyone had tips for the Assessment Center, it feels very vague despite what NBTC has put out there.

              • Rita Lander
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 21, 2009
                  I am a retake candidate. I am taking the data analysis and interrelationships tests over. I was told to read old science textbooks. For data and analysis I was told to study the ACT science reasoning tests. Hope this helps. Would love to hear your suggestions. Rita

                  This group looks like it might have fizzled out. I was wondering if anyone had tips for the Assessment Center, it feels very vague despite what NBTC has put out there.

                • Don Deresz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 22, 2009

                    Fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

                    You're right:  it's vague.  But, be careful what you carry in your pockets to the assessment center.

                    Don Deresz
                    Miami, FL

                    This group looks like it might have fizzled out. I was wondering if anyone had tips for the Assessment Center, it feels very vague despite what NBTC has put out there.

                  • tmk2950
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 28, 2009
                      Hi,
                      I achieved NBPTS in December of 09. I, like Philip, had no idea what I was doing on the first test. I was so nervous that I just froze. I too BS'ed for 20 minutes. Everything ran so smoothly for the next 5 tests. Test 3, I thought I absolutey aced. I had no doubt when I walked out of there that I got 3.5 or above on it. When I got my scores, I got a 3.25 on test 1 but got a 1 on test 3...how that worked I will never know. The most important thing is to stay calm during that first test and read each question carefully. I think that on question 3, I MUST HAVE READ the question incorrectly and answered something they were not asking because I am absolutely positive my information was 100% correct.

                      Just stay calm and be careful.

                      By the way, the descriptions of what each test is about is very helpful. Not only did I study science textbooks, I also used the National Science Standards. That seemed to help focus me.

                      Hope this helps. Good Luck.
                      Tina

                      --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Wooley <pwooley2000@...> wrote:

                      > Amy,
                      > I achieved in 2007 on a retake.  Here is my recollection of the Assessment Center:  I entered the test site and was asked to empty my pockets into a locker.  The prompts are timed and a clock appears at the top of the screen.  The first prompt- I knew nothing.  I B.S.'d for 20 minutes- I know the assessors must have laughed when they read my entry.  However, the second and third prompt were things that I had recently taught.  I did well on the assessment center although it was quite unnerving.
                      > Read textbooks for grades you do not teach. Read lab manuals.
                      > Good luck.
                      >
                      > Phillip C. Wooley

                    • Christopher Heroux
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 28, 2009
                        Make sure you receive a response booklet!  I tested last Saturday and the testing facility in Tulsa told me I wasn't going to need my labels or a response booklet.  I came to question 3 and I needed a response booklet.  Was a little stressed since I lost some time trying to get the test facilitators attention so I could be given a response booklet.

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2009
                          Please tell me more on how and where you got the flash cards. Explain more about them. I don't ever remember anyone mentioning them before now. I am retaking the first 2 tests. Won't old textbooks help.