Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 238

  • Nancy Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2003
      Kathy,
      Thank you for your reassuring words. Several people
      told me that they thought my lessons did not have
      enough technology and that they were about too many
      different things. I thought the point of #1 was to
      show how feedback and different work led students
      through an important concept, in my case naming
      chemical compounds. As you said, my reflection will
      tie it all together (I hope- I'm no Hemingway!)
      Back to the salt mine!
      Nancy

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Don Deresz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2003
        Greetings, Ms. Dozier.

        I found your reply to be very insightful and certainly applicable toward the
        practice of an inquiry-based pedagogy as deconstructed in the aforementioned
        class, thank you. As stated, reflection as to the use of the type of
        technology in improving student learning is of paramount importance in the
        writtten commentary.

        However, N.B. "Standard III: Instructional Resources," does distinguish
        between traditional and the current use of modern technological instruments
        as a resource for the accomplished (science) teacher (i.e., we've progressed
        from wooden sticks to joy sticks). The N.B. candidate should "provide
        [student] opportunities for hands-on experiences with mechanical,
        electrical, and optical tools...and instruments as an extension of their
        five senses."

        Hope this helps.
        -dd