I need an idea!

  • d_scordes <d_scordes@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2003
      Does anyone have an idea about how I can incorporate technology into
      a mitosis/meiosis/genetics unit? I did the onion root tips using
      the microscope. The kids had to identify the stage of mitosis the
      cells were in, make a detailed drawing, and list observations about
      the cell that indicated that it would be in that particular stage.
      I use several internet sits, but in an interactive way rather than
      using them as an assignment. Should I create an assignment to go
      with the sites I use, or use the mitosis onion root tip drawings?
      I hope everyone is moving right along and making some serious
      progress. If makes anyone feel better, I feel like I am running an
      endless marathon.
      Thanks for any help!
      Stacy
    • Cahoon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
        Can you have them use their own drawings and do a power point presentation?
        From: "d_scordes <d_scordes@...>" <d_scordes@...>
        Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 02:32:25 -0000

        --
        K. Cahoon
        Currituck County Middle School
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2003
          Using technology can depend on how many computers you have access
          to. If you have more than one, what about rotating the kids through
          an interactive activity that you design? (For example, line up the
          alleles or put the stages in the correct order.) They could print out
          the resulting screen for you. If you only have one computer, you
          could do this as a class activity with the overhead. I created a
          PowerPoint for the class. It showed the stages of Mitosis and the
          notes I wanted them to take. I have also created quizzes on
          PowerPoint and showed them on the overhead for the class. If you have
          enough computers, have the kids create their own product on the
          topic. You could also create a quiz at Quia.com. Finally, what
          about the students taking notes or answering questions from the
          Internet sites you have mentioned. Just a few thoughts! Good luck!
          I too am working on certification.
          Jill

          --- In EASCI@yahoogroups.com, "d_scordes <d_scordes@y...>"
          <d_scordes@y...> wrote:
          > Does anyone have an idea about how I can incorporate technology
          into
          > a mitosis/meiosis/genetics unit? I did the onion root tips using
          > the microscope. The kids had to identify the stage of mitosis the
          > cells were in, make a detailed drawing, and list observations about
          > the cell that indicated that it would be in that particular stage.
          > I use several internet sits, but in an interactive way rather than
          > using them as an assignment. Should I create an assignment to go
          > with the sites I use, or use the mitosis onion root tip drawings?
          > I hope everyone is moving right along and making some serious
          > progress. If makes anyone feel better, I feel like I am running an
          > endless marathon.
          > Thanks for any help!
          > Stacy
        • Susie Skinner
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2003
            What about a webquest project? A web page based project? Don't have one---I have a girlfriend that started one on scholastic.com and she loves it. What technology does your school have, we have one computer unit that projects onto a large "tv" screen, and we hae a mobile laptop unit at the middle school we can use. Do you have access to long distance learning?

            <d_scordes@y...> wrote:
            > Does anyone have an idea about how I can incorporate technology
            into
            > a mitosis/meiosis/genetics unit?  I did the onion root tips using
            > the microscope.  The kids had to identify the stage of mitosis the
            > cells were in, make a detailed drawing, and list observations about
            > the cell that indicated that it would be in that particular stage.
            > I use several internet sits, but in an interactive way rather than
            > using them as an assignment.  Should I create an assignment to go
            > with the sites I use, or use the mitosis onion root tip drawings?
            > I hope everyone is moving right along and making some serious
            > progress.  If makes anyone feel better, I feel like I am running an
            > endless marathon.
            > Thanks for any help!
            > Stacy

            Yahoo! Groups Links