Re: [EASCI] Digest Number 229

  • Don Deresz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Season's Greetings, baileyboye.

      Regarding the submission of a tape of questionable length, please read the
      NB directions carefully [ which you appear to have already done]. If the
      portfolio directions state that you can submit a tape of less than 20
      minutes, but more than 10 - then, by all means do so and elucidate in the
      Commentary about your learning community's subsequent discussion as per your
      serendipitous plan. The Commentary is the important element of your
      submission and evidence as to how your teaching improved student learning.

      Have a pleasant new year.

      From: "Farnsworth, Jay" <jfarnsworth@...>
      2. (unknown)
      From: mary edmunds <marykinmi2000@...>
      3. entry#3
      From: "baileyboye <jadatay@...>" <jadatay@...>
      4. Re: National Standards vs. State Standards
      From: "veter" <veter@...>
      5. Video length
      From: "Anthony Cody <codypren@...>"
      <codypren@...>
      6. Re: entry#3
      From: "Donna M. Petty" <dpetty@...>
      7. Re: entry#3
      From: Susan Lewis <sciencegoddess125@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:20:05 -0600
      From: "Farnsworth, Jay" <jfarnsworth@...>
      Subject: FW: Entry #3

      I believe you are correct about the stop being considered editing - if - you
      were to add on another piece. I think it would be possible to use an
      outstanding 14 minute tape, rather than an un-outstanding 20 minute one. If
      you are excited with the 14 minutes you have and can make all of the
      necessary connections with your writing, I'd give it a shot (just my
      opinion). I remember reading that the tape is just additional evidence
      anyway and that the primary media scored for that entry is your write up.
      I passed last year and did fairly well on entry three with a tape with less
      than optimal audio - it was 20 min. though.

      Jay Farnsworth

      Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 07:11:17 -0800 (PST)
      From: mary edmunds <marykinmi2000@...>
      Subject: (unknown)

      Hi,

      Instructions from NBPTS are very explicit. If they ask for a 20 minute tape,
      you should send them one. If you stop the tape at any time, the assessor
      will only look at that part. You must follow the directions exactly.

      If they ask for a 20 minute tape and you send in a 14 minute tape, you have
      not given them 30% of the interaction that they are asking for. Go ahead and
      re-do a different lesson. I am sure that you will be able to fulfill the
      requirements. Best of luck to you from someone who has felt the anxiety.

      maryk

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 17:34:01 -0000
      From: "baileyboye <jadatay@...>" <jadatay@...>
      Subject: entry#3

      I guess I need to clarify myself...I have 14 minutes of good
      discussion (not 20) I would not send in a tape that had discussions
      from 2 days. Our discussion lasted 14 minutes instead of 20. We got
      through a full discussion of the data we collected. The following
      day we discussed it a little more (we compared our data with data
      published in our textbook) and also summarized what we talked about
      the previous day. Couldn't I simply mention this in my description
      of the lesson?
      I checked the NBPTS website FAQ section and it said it is acceptable
      to submit a shorter tape. It mentioned that it is not advised to
      send in one that is less than half of the maximum allotted time.
      Has anyone sent in a tape less than the specified 20 minutes and
      passed?

      I do feel I have a good discussion on this tape. Almost every
      student is engaged in the discussion, they contribute great ideas
      about further experiments they could do to test their ideas, and they
      question each others analysis of the data. I don't think I would get
      a better video if I retaped.

      Does anyone have ideas, suggestions, or completely disagree with me?

      Thanks

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:09:25 -0600
      From: "veter" <veter@...>
      Subject: Re: National Standards vs. State Standards

      One of my video entries was on the 4 states of matter. I frequently used the
      terms atoms and molecules. I scored well. The class in the video was a 6th
      grade Science class.
      Patricia Laughlin NBCT EA/Science 2000
      Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 22:38:50 -0000
      From: "Anthony Cody <codypren@...>" <codypren@...>
      Subject: Video length

      Taping a good video is the most angst-ridden part of the whole process. It
      is easy to say
      "tape another one," but I know it is much harder to do. I would say that if
      you have a
      discussion you feel shows you have met the standards, use it, even if it is
      a little short. I
      understand that shorter videos are acceptable. Just explain what went on in
      your
      description and I think you will be fine.

      Message: 6
      Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:40:16 -0500
      From: "Donna M. Petty" <dpetty@...>
      Subject: Re: entry#3

      Mine was only 18 minutes for one of my entries. I passed with a 3.25 on it.
      I kept it because it was good and it was so hard to find someone to tape for
      me. Taping was the hardest part for me - our periods are 90 minutes long and
      some of my lessons go two days. It's hard to zero in on the perfect part.
      Hang in there! Blessings for a fantastic new year!

      Donna M. Petty
      dpetty@...
      Class Page (http://home.usit.net/~dpetty/Class_Page/index.htm)
      Bahá'í Page (http://www.columbiabahai.org)

      "When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced.
      Live your life so that when you die the world cries
      and you rejoice".
[...]

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message: 7
      Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 05:28:19 -0800 (PST)
      From: Susan Lewis <sciencegoddess125@...>

      Neither one of my tapes was 20 minutes and I scored just fine on them both.
      If you have a great tape use it. Just make sure it isn't over 20 minutes..
      Good Luck,
      Susan NBCT 2001
      "baileyboye <jadatay@...>" <jadatay@...> wrote:I guess I
[...]

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT