RE: [EASCI] Digest Number 222

  • Monica Schmidt
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 25, 2002
      Do not trash the tape-- the whole point of this process is to show you in
      action on a typical workday. A misspelling on a student generated bulletin
      board gives you the opportunity to reflect on the fact that your students
      are active participants in their learning. It also gives you the
      opportunity to discuss how engrossed everyone was in the lesson that the
      spelling error was not noticed until later after the initial and full
      excitement of the students busily engaging in this lesson had died down.
      You did notice the error and you did fix it as you mentioned-- those are the
      things you need to write about in your analysis and reflection.

      From: "lewiestewie <lstewart@...>"
      <lstewart@...>
      2. Re: Entry 2-BOO-BOO
      From: "Donna M. Petty" <dpetty@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 02:24:51 -0000
      From: "lewiestewie <lstewart@...>"
      <lstewart@...>
      Subject: Entry 2-BOO-BOO

      On Friday I taped the perfect lesson for Entry 2. Near the very end
      of taping (like 18.5 minutes), one of my girls noticed that she had
      spelled "geological" incorrectly on the bulletin board she had put up
      before we started taping this class.(We were in a hurry, it was the
      last day before Christmas break!) She didn't tell me until we were
      through taping. It wasn't noticeable in the tape until my cameraman(a
      student) zoomed in on the bulletin board when I mentioned how we were
      going to put our data on the timeline on the bulletin board. I was so
      into the timeline, that I never noticed until the student pointed it
      out after taping. YIKES!!!!! The lesson itself was great. When we
      took digital pictures, as we started our activity, we had corrected
      the mistake, but it wasn't until after the videotaping was completed.
      Is it adviseable to still use this tape or should I do a whole new
      lesson? Should I use this tape and address the misspelling in the
      analysis? I would really hate to trash this lesson!!!! Someone,
      please give me some input!

      Message: 2
      Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 22:26:26 -0500
      From: "Donna M. Petty" <dpetty@...>
      Subject: Re: Entry 2-BOO-BOO

      A student made bulletin board! Fantastic! I wouldn't trash a thing - this
      gives you the opportunity to point out the fabulous way you get your
      students involved in the class! Not only are you letting it be "their"
      classroom, not just "yours", but you're encouraging possible future
      educators! Boo-boos such as this often give you some "meat" to talk about in
      your reflection. I say keep it and use it to your advantage! Blessings!

      Donna M. Petty
      dpetty@...
      Class Page (http://home.usit.net/~dpetty/Class_Page/index.htm)
      Bahá'í Page (http://www.columbiabahai.org)

      "When you were born you cried and the world rejoiced.
      Live your life so that when you die the world cries
      and you rejoice".
[...]

      [This message contained attachments]