ideas

  • kcourtney@xxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
      Is anyone familiar with the Jason Project through the National Geographic Society? I was hoping someone could give me an idea if activities from it could be used in the entries -such as Entry 3 or 4?!?
    • kcourtney@ccboe.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
        I am glad to see that some people are using this listserve. I got depressed reading the email about the low number of people achieving this certification area. I know we have a small rubric for each section in the manual, but I know that most certification areas have a booklet with the scoring tools for each entry in more detail.

        Also, as I have been working on the Entries 5&6, I was wondering about having the school letterhead on documentation. Is that acceptable? The letterhead not only contains the name of the school, but also the address and phone number. Any ideas?

        I can't recall who wrote that they have to redo the 2 entries with the student samples. Do you have any idea what they were looking for that wasn't present in your portfolio??? I think the idea I am working on for the Entry 1 is Tides-(connecting it with math, language arts and social studies content areas. I am deciding what 3 activities would be best to place into this entry. Secondly, the entry 2 idea I plan to use for the assessment will come from a unit on the solar system. Students are currently working on a travel brochure in small groups to persuade someone to visit their planet. It will be scored with a rubric. Would this be one assessment that could be used? Kelly
      • kcourtney@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999

        • Nankwh@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 1999
            Kelly
            I wasn't sure either about leaving school names, etc on documentation. I had
            advice that was confilicting. I decided to be cautious and used white out on
            any specific identifying names, leaving first names, but hiding surmanes,
            etc. The results looked pretty bad, but was anonymous. The only
            documentation that had identifyers were the NBC forms that I asked specific
            people to sign...our assistant principal who had accompanied me to a
            conference and so forth.
            I think the solar system idea is great, especially with the rubric scoring.
            I show that the students can apply what they have learned and that you are
            giving them specific feedback on their work.
            Nancy