Re: Digest Number 20

  • Dave Culbreth
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 1956
      Find someone who actually passed or better yet, find someone who has actually
      been to National Boards who learned how they grade your entries. I did not
      pass and do not have any idea of what I should do differently. We had no help
      from successful candidates because our county had none. If you do not have
      help from someone who passed your area(and only your area) you are just taking
      a shot in the dark. Do not get help from Elementary candidates because their
      criteria is much different. In our county, 90% of successful candidates were
      elementary. We only had one science person pass out of 70 that finished their
      portfolios. What you choose for work samples must be extremely important
      because it was the lowest two scores that I had and they counted the most
      weight.

      The grading criteria is so ambiguous and vague that you must find out what the
      secrets are or you will not pass.

      Hope this has been helpful.

      David

    • Dave Culbreth
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 1956
        Nancy,

        I am from Brevard County and we had only one science person pass (high school)
        out of 70 candidates that finished. Most were elementary. My lowest scores
        were on the two student work entries which carry the most weight. If I had
        scored just a 3 on those two, I would have passed.

        I am going to retake these two entries. I teach integrated science. Obviously
        you must have done well on these sections. If you don't mind telling me, what
        topics or big ideas did you base your entries on? I think that my topics were
        not significant enough.

        David