videotaping

  • baileyboye
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2002
      I have a very large room and the camera has to be far away from the
      students to capture most of the kids on the tape. This creates a
      problem....you can't see the writing on the overhead projector on the
      video. I am videotaping for entry #3 tomorrow and I need to know if
      it is ok to send in a copy of the overhead transparency with my
      entry? I know they say to use the camera to focus on the overhead
      screen, but I don't have anyone doing the taping....I guess I could
      run over to the camera and focus it for a second but it would be a
      distraction. We will also be referring to a few different graphs
      showing students' results....what a hassle to have to focus on each
      one. Any suggestions?
    • Anthony Cody
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2002
        Can you have a student run the camera? It takes a bit of training, but I believe that is the
        best solution to your challenge. I used a student and had decent results. The key thing is
        to make sure the student understands the need to zoom and pan very slowly. Kids tend
        to swoop around too much.
      • Susan Lewis

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
            I had a similar situation last year and did not score well on the entry when I used an overhead.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 6, 2002
              --- Anthony Cody <codypren@...> wrote:
              > Can you have a student run the camera? It takes a
              > bit of training, but I believe that is the
              > best solution to your challenge. I used a student
              > and had decent results. The key thing is
              > to make sure the student understands the need to
              > zoom and pan very slowly. Kids tend
              > to swoop around too much.
              >
              >Anthony,
              I received 4's on both my videos. Itried having a
              student do the taping several times and I kept having
              difficulties. (mostly my fault) A student would be
              fine or a parent. My county has a PR guy and I called
              him and asked him to do the taping he did and the
              videos were great. If you find a student thats
              responsible, just train them well. good luck and let
              me know if I can help.
              kathy, NBCT

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • baileyboye <jadatay@hotmail.com>
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 7, 2002
                I videotaped for entry #3 yesterday. The videos turned out okay in
                terms of being able to hear the kids and the discussion went well. I
                am a little concerned because the kids aren't facing the camera for
                most of the discussion. The set up of my classroom won't really
                enable this...we were discussing a graph on the overhead so the kids
                had to be looking at it quite often and the camera was behind them.
                I stood behind the kids at times so that when they talked they would
                look towards the camera but it didn't happen all of the time. Does
                anyone think this will be a major issue with the assessors?

                Also, some of you said we can submit copies of overhead
                transparencies with our entry. I don't see,in the instructions,
                where you would attach it. Does anyone know more information about
                attaching teaching artifacts for ENTRY #3 (I see info for attaching
                artifacts in entry #1)

                Thanks,
                Jada
              • Susan Lewis
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2002

                   "baileyboye <jadatay@...>" <jadatay@...> wrote:

[...]

                  I believe as long as you identify the speakers in terms of what they are wearing when you write up the activity and that you can hear the children, I don't think this is a problem.

                  Look at your instructions for packing your box, they might have changed in the past three years, but I think you have a place to attach the teaching artifacts that go with the lesson and the overhead you used would be one of them.

                  Good Luck, Susan

                • science7rocks <joyofscience@aol.com>
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 9, 2002
                    I recently saw a video that scored very well and as long as you can
                    hear the students, and see them part of the time, it should be okay.
                    The guide says to focus first on yourself, then the kids, then
                    environment. Hope that helps.
                    E.
                  • Peggy's Adelphia E-Mail