Re: Anyone out there?

  • Dave Culbreth
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 1956
      Congratulations. We did not have anyone in our county out of 200 applicants that
      started that passed science at EA including myself. We had one high school person
      that passed. I have to repeat two entries. I am totally disgusted with the process
      because out of 68 applicants that actually finished, only 4 were not elementary. It
      really makes me mad that the criteria is different for other areas. I am thinking
      about forgetting the whole process.

      David

      canderson@... wrote:

      > From: canderson@...
      >
      > Hi,
      > I just found out about this list serve. It would have been a big help last
      > year when I was going through the EA/Science experience. It would have been
      > nice to talke to someone. I managed to go through the process alone, but I
      > would not recommend it to anyone. It is much better if you have someone to
      > bounce ideas off of and to help you clarify the rules. I am from Wisconsin
      > and to date there have been only 10 people certified. I am the first one in
      > science.
      > I can tell you that last year the success rate for EA/Science certification
      > was less than 39%. I think that was because the certificate area was new.
      > Hopefully they will make some modifications so that the process will be better
      > for those in the next year. If there is anyone out there who would like to
      > correspond, or who would like some help with the certification, please let me
      > know. I am not an expert by any means, but if I can help so that someone else
      > doesn't have to work in isolation, I would be glad to be of assistance.
      > Good Luck!
      >
      > Also, for those who were on this list serve last year - How did you do? Do
      > you have any pointers for those who are out there now that you have your scores.
      > Sincerely,
      > Catherine Anderson NBCT-EA/Science '99

    • Dave Culbreth
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 1956
        Find someone who actually passed or better yet, find someone who has actually
        been to National Boards who learned how they grade your entries. I did not
        pass and do not have any idea of what I should do differently. We had no help
        from successful candidates because our county had none. If you do not have
        help from someone who passed your area(and only your area) you are just taking
        a shot in the dark. Do not get help from Elementary candidates because their
        criteria is much different. In our county, 90% of successful candidates were
        elementary. We only had one science person pass out of 70 that finished their
        portfolios. What you choose for work samples must be extremely important
        because it was the lowest two scores that I had and they counted the most
        weight.

        The grading criteria is so ambiguous and vague that you must find out what the
        secrets are or you will not pass.

        Hope this has been helpful.

        David

      • Dave Culbreth
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 1956
          Nancy,

          I am from Brevard County and we had only one science person pass (high school)
          out of 70 candidates that finished. Most were elementary. My lowest scores
          were on the two student work entries which carry the most weight. If I had
          scored just a 3 on those two, I would have passed.

          I am going to retake these two entries. I teach integrated science. Obviously
          you must have done well on these sections. If you don't mind telling me, what
          topics or big ideas did you base your entries on? I think that my topics were
          not significant enough.

          David

          Nankwh@... wrote:

          > From: Nankwh@...
          >
          > Feel free to contact me if you have questions. I achieved the certification
          > this year. This list serv was VERY quiet while I went through the process.
          > I would have like to have had more contact with teachers in this area. I
          > teach 8th grade (physical science) but I have also worked with other age
          > groups and other sciences.
          > Nancy Hosie, NBCT EA/SCI
          > St Lucie County, FL

        • Jack Kilby
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
            I also passed. I teach both 6th grade general science and 8th grade earth science. I used my 8th grade classes for the first two entries and my 6th grade classes for the two video tapes. I will try to help in anyway that I can. I was disappointed in how inactive this site was last year when I needed someone to bounce ideas around with. Hopefully, now that this certification is in its second year more people will sign on.
            Jackie