Response to Nancy Smith

  • Carl and Suzanna Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2002

      Hi,

      I successfully completed the process in EA Science last year. For the introducing the concept at the beginning of the unit, you may want to focus on eliciting prior knowledge, making connections to the students lives and raising their interest levels.  You can do this in a number of ways.  One way that you could do it is through a KWL chart.  Another way would be to do some paired sharing first of what they think they know and  then share in groups of four and then as a class.  This provides a safe way for all students to participate without having to take risks in front of the entire class.  Another way would be to write an anticipation guide that would have a list of statements about plate tectonics or whatever topic you are covering and have the students write true or false for each and then discuss each statement as a class after they complete the guide.  You could also demonstrate some discrepant event in the subject area and then design some paired and large group sharing around the event.  Whatever you do, break it up so it is not one very long discussion of what they think they know.  Do some research on how important it to find out what they know and to design your future lessons around that data.  Also, research why it is important to know what their misconceptions are about the topic and incorporate this into your discussion of the video.

      Good Luck,

      Suzanna Johnson, NBCT EA/YA Science 2001