Re: [EASCI] New member

  • Stacy Cordes
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2002
      Hello. From what I understand the 20 minute video
      must be introducing a new concept. I, like you, have
      no idea what to talk about for 20 minutes to a group
      of kids who know little about a concept. I am
      thinking about doing either plate tectonics or natural
      resources along with a 100 other ideas. I am
      considering videoing every new concept that comes
      around. I teach 7th grade Life Science and 8th grade
      Earth Science. I am teaching cell processes right
      now. I could do something with that. I am working on
      my entry 4. I think it is going pretty good. Weather
      would be good for your 3 instructional activities,
      especially if you have Internet access. I think it
      would anyway.
      Keep in touch. Best wishes.
      --- byrdscience <byrdscience@...> wrote:
      > Hi! I was excited to find a group just for
      > EA-Science folks. I am a
      > new candidate. I teach 8th grade physical science
      > and high school
      > earth science to advanced 8th graders. I'm in
      > Virginia and look
      > forward to weaving through this maze. My entry 4 is
      > half done and
      > I'm trying to figure out what will make the best
      > showing for items
      > of student work. I'm about to start meteorology in
      > earth science and
      > atoms-periodic table in physical science. What to
      > use for whole
      > class discussion for 20 min when they know nothing
      > about the topic
      > doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Am I
      > interpreting it
      > correctly? Thanks.
      > Nancy Smith

      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
    • Jill W Saia
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2002
        Since you are both starting a new concept, why not use a discrepant event?
        Use something in the unit that will surprise the students; make them think
        about things differently. That will get them talking, and fill 20 minutes
        of video easily. Just keep posing a lot of "what if?" questions to keep the
        discussion moving along.
      • Farnsworth, Jay
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2002
          That is what I did - I'm awaiting my results. I think that really works
          well. We used an observation and then dissection of push n' go toy cars to
          get started on part of our energy studies.

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 25, 2002
            Hi, I introduced a new concept in the middle of a
            unit. This allowed students to apply background
            information to the topic. We discussed evolution
            after lessons on adaptation. This way the video
            captured students thinking, relating past information,
            and sharing new ideas. I just got my scores back and
            I passed on my first try. Woo-hoo!

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Dawn Hicks
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2002
              congratulations!
              Dawn HICKS
              > Hi, I introduced a new concept in the middle of a
              > unit. This allowed students to apply background
              > information to the topic. We discussed evolution
              > after lessons on adaptation. This way the video
              > captured students thinking, relating past information,
              > and sharing new ideas. I just got my scores back and
              > I passed on my first try. Woo-hoo!
              >
              > --- Stacy Cordes <d_scordes@...> wrote:
              > > Hello. From what I understand the 20 minute video
              > > must be introducing a new concept. I, like you,
              > > have
              > > no idea what to talk about for 20 minutes to a group
              > > of kids who know little about a concept. I am
              > > thinking about doing either plate tectonics or
              > > natural
              > > resources along with a 100 other ideas. I am
              > > considering videoing every new concept that comes
              > > around. I teach 7th grade Life Science and 8th
              > > grade
              > > Earth Science. I am teaching cell processes right
              > > now. I could do something with that. I am working
              > > on
              > > my entry 4. I think it is going pretty good.
              > > Weather
              > > would be good for your 3 instructional activities,
              > > especially if you have Internet access. I think it
              > > would anyway.
              > > Keep in touch. Best wishes.
              > > --- byrdscience <byrdscience@...> wrote:
              > > > Hi! I was excited to find a group just for
              > > > EA-Science folks. I am a
              > > > new candidate. I teach 8th grade physical science
              > > > and high school
              > > > earth science to advanced 8th graders. I'm in
              > > > Virginia and look
              > > > forward to weaving through this maze. My entry 4
              > > is
              > > > half done and
              > > > I'm trying to figure out what will make the best
              > > > showing for items
              > > > of student work. I'm about to start meteorology in
              > > > earth science and
              > > > atoms-periodic table in physical science. What to
              > > > use for whole
              > > > class discussion for 20 min when they know nothing
              > > > about the topic
              > > > doesn't seem to make any sense to me. Am I
              > > > interpreting it
              > > > correctly? Thanks.
              > > > Nancy Smith

            • spacefrog72003
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 27 2:09 PM
                Hi everyone, I am a current candidate fo EA/Sci. I just found this
                list serv. I don't have contact with anyone going for this particular
                area...until now. I have not much to offer at this point. Are their
                any of you in Arkansas?