Re: [EASCI] I need help on entry 4!

  • thudson128@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
      Don't panic! You can do Entry 4.  I am waiting for my results with crossed fingers and a hopeful heart, but whatever my scores this time, the NBPTS experience has been a great professional developement experience.
      A NBPTS certified teacher in my county helped me with my Entry 4.  She stressed that whatever you present, your documented accomplishments must demonstrate measurable student success and ongoing two way communication between parents and yourself.
      For example:
      My first documented accomplishment centered on communication with student families.  I documented all my contacts, including my parent phone/communication log as evidence.  If you do not do a monthly newsletter home, get busy.  Be sure that you provide parents an opportunity to respond to what you have written.  I use a tear off form for comments on the back and offer homework passes for those students who return it complete with parent comments and signature!  Pick a unit compare the pre and post test scores of those students with increased parental participation as indicated by written contact, phone contact, classroom volunteering, participation in "home-work" labs, etc.   Make sure that you can support measured, increased student performance.  Have students rotate a "take-home" class journal that details the events of your class.  Parents sign and comment on the day's activities.
      I hope this helps a little - I bet you'll be surprised at what all you do as you begin to list and document your involvement with your students and their familes.  Good Luck
    • Theresa
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
        Hi
        I went through the process last year and I'm waiting for my scores.
        For family involvement, I used the sample communication log and student learning logs.
        When I cover "touchy topics" like reproduction and evolution I have the students write in a log.
        Each entry has three sections:  summary, reactions and questions, and parent response.
        Parent respose is extra credit.  Parents can either write in the log or hold a discussion with
        their child and the child summarizes it in the log.
        These work great.  Parents write very interesting responses and questions that aide in
        our class discussions.  I respond in the log as well.  I copied these as evidence.

        I also wrote about:
        • After school technology integration program I led to train kids to be student tech aides.  (news article used as evidence)
        • Health fair I helped organize with 4H (program and digital pictures used as evidence)
        • Water quality stewardship (our website of data used as evidence)
        • TEACH leadership group (professional development program) (Certificate used as evidence)
        • Workshop I taught  (published advertisement used as evidence)
        • Inhouse workshops I led (verification from fellow staff members as evidence)
        The workshops I taught were combined as one accomplishment to eliminate duplication in writing.

        Once I get my scores, I'll tell you how I did.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
          --- d_scordes <d_scordes@...> wrote:
          > My entry 4 is sooooo weak. I teach junior high so I
          > don't send home
          > weekly bulletins. I do have a website that parents
          > can access, but
          > most don't. I present at the local, state and
          > national levels, but
          > have never surveyed the audience. I have no
          > concrete way to prove
          > student impact for teachers who have attended my
          > workshops. My
          > community is very small, so community resources are
          > few and far
          > between. It is difficult to bus the kids anywhere.
          >
          > Does anyone have any ideas for my entry 4? U need
          > all the help I can
          > get.
          > This group looks as if it is not too active. Is
          > there anyone still
          > out there?
          > :) s

          Like most everyone I am awaiting my scores, so my
          advice is purely my own thoughts. Do you have any
          anyone that can verify your leadership at workshops?
          That would be very helpful. I had my principal write a
          detailed paragraph about a seminar I put together for
          our school. For communications send email to parents
          and encourage them to respond. I even ask a few
          parents I was close to to make a point to email me. i
          also began sending home "unit reports" This would tell
          the parents about a new unit and included a simple
          activity to do at home. Parents were asked to respond
          to the activity. (give extra credit if need be) This
          showed an opportunity to include families in our
          classes. Whatever you do, don't spend too much time on
          this particular entry. It counts for less than the
          others. Focus on getting good strong videos and
          student work samples. Good luck and pray for those of
          us waiting. :)
          kathyteach@...
          kathy

          HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now