Re: [EASCI] I need help on entry 4!

  • Cahoon
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
      My unit is going to be on weather. I have some great LA teachers reading my stuff. I was sending it out to 6 or 7 different folks but quickly weeded it down to the 2 best. One works at the middle school with me and the other is at the high school. I have not even begun to focus on video taping. I think I am avoiding it!
      Karen
      From: Stacy Cordes <d_scordes@...>
      Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 18:01:54 -0800 (PST)

    • thudson128@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
        Don't panic! You can do Entry 4.  I am waiting for my results with crossed fingers and a hopeful heart, but whatever my scores this time, the NBPTS experience has been a great professional developement experience.
        A NBPTS certified teacher in my county helped me with my Entry 4.  She stressed that whatever you present, your documented accomplishments must demonstrate measurable student success and ongoing two way communication between parents and yourself.
        For example:
        My first documented accomplishment centered on communication with student families.  I documented all my contacts, including my parent phone/communication log as evidence.  If you do not do a monthly newsletter home, get busy.  Be sure that you provide parents an opportunity to respond to what you have written.  I use a tear off form for comments on the back and offer homework passes for those students who return it complete with parent comments and signature!  Pick a unit compare the pre and post test scores of those students with increased parental participation as indicated by written contact, phone contact, classroom volunteering, participation in "home-work" labs, etc.   Make sure that you can support measured, increased student performance.  Have students rotate a "take-home" class journal that details the events of your class.  Parents sign and comment on the day's activities.
        I hope this helps a little - I bet you'll be surprised at what all you do as you begin to list and document your involvement with your students and their familes.  Good Luck
      • Theresa
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2002
          Hi
          I went through the process last year and I'm waiting for my scores.
          For family involvement, I used the sample communication log and student learning logs.
          When I cover "touchy topics" like reproduction and evolution I have the students write in a log.
          Each entry has three sections:  summary, reactions and questions, and parent response.
          Parent respose is extra credit.  Parents can either write in the log or hold a discussion with
          their child and the child summarizes it in the log.
          These work great.  Parents write very interesting responses and questions that aide in
          our class discussions.  I respond in the log as well.  I copied these as evidence.

          I also wrote about:
          • After school technology integration program I led to train kids to be student tech aides.  (news article used as evidence)
          • Health fair I helped organize with 4H (program and digital pictures used as evidence)
          • Water quality stewardship (our website of data used as evidence)
          • TEACH leadership group (professional development program) (Certificate used as evidence)
          • Workshop I taught  (published advertisement used as evidence)
          • Inhouse workshops I led (verification from fellow staff members as evidence)
          The workshops I taught were combined as one accomplishment to eliminate duplication in writing.

          Once I get my scores, I'll tell you how I did.
          My entry 4 is sooooo weak.  I teach junior high so I don't send home
          weekly bulletins.  I do have a website that parents can access, but
          most don't.  I present at the local, state and national levels, but
          have never surveyed the audience.  I have no concrete way to prove
          student impact for teachers who have attended my workshops.  My
          community is very small, so community resources are few and far
          between.  It is difficult to bus the kids anywhere.
          Does anyone have any ideas for my entry 4?  U need all the help I can
          get.
          This group looks as if it is not too active.  Is there anyone still
          out there?
          :) s

        • kathy rogers
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2002
            --- d_scordes <d_scordes@...> wrote:
            > My entry 4 is sooooo weak. I teach junior high so I
            > don't send home
            > weekly bulletins. I do have a website that parents
            > can access, but
            > most don't. I present at the local, state and
            > national levels, but
            > have never surveyed the audience. I have no
            > concrete way to prove
            > student impact for teachers who have attended my
            > workshops. My
            > community is very small, so community resources are
            > few and far
            > between. It is difficult to bus the kids anywhere.
            >
            > Does anyone have any ideas for my entry 4? U need
            > all the help I can
            > get.
            > This group looks as if it is not too active. Is
            > there anyone still
            > out there?
            > :) s

            Like most everyone I am awaiting my scores, so my
            advice is purely my own thoughts. Do you have any
            anyone that can verify your leadership at workshops?
            That would be very helpful. I had my principal write a
            detailed paragraph about a seminar I put together for
            our school. For communications send email to parents
            and encourage them to respond. I even ask a few
            parents I was close to to make a point to email me. i
            also began sending home "unit reports" This would tell
            the parents about a new unit and included a simple
            activity to do at home. Parents were asked to respond
            to the activity. (give extra credit if need be) This
            showed an opportunity to include families in our
            classes. Whatever you do, don't spend too much time on
            this particular entry. It counts for less than the
            others. Focus on getting good strong videos and
            student work samples. Good luck and pray for those of
            us waiting. :)
            kathyteach@...
            kathy

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now