studying for assessment center

  • Farnsworth, Jay
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
      Does anyone have a concise list of steps they took to study for the
      assessment center? I'm looking for the most efficient body of material to
      study and prepare from. I have the NSES standards and the NBPTS books. Any
      suggestions or words of wisdom would be much appreciated.
    • Jill W Saia
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
        The NSES standards are good, but Project 2061's Science for All Americans
        really gets at the "big ideas" of science - and it's easy to read. Also,
        find some books on assessment in science and student misconceptions. ( I
        certified in '99 so I'm having trouble remembering titles; just remember
        that those are the kinds of things I studied) Also, we hear from NBPTS
        that the AC is more focused on content now than it used to be; my
        suggestion is that you study most what you like the least. For example, if
        you teach a lot of life science because you don't really like physical
        science, study the latter!
        Take the same approach to this that I do when cleaning house; I hate to do
        bathrooms, so I do them first to get it over with. Does that make sense?