Re: [EASCI] entry 1

  • Sheila Collins
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26 8:30 AM
      THANKS DAWN
      SHEILA
    • Sheila Collins
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26 8:34 AM
        EVERYBODY OUT THERE I MISTAKENLY SENT MY ENTRY 1 TO DAWN WITHOUT USING HER
        EMAIL ADDRESS. PLEASE DELETE THIS. I WAS SUPPOSE TO SEND IT TO HER
        PERSONALLY TO REVIEW. I DID NOT KNOW IT WOULD GO TO EVERYONE AND I NEARLY
        FAINTED WHEN IT CAME BACK TO ME. I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO ANY TROUBLE.
        THANK YOU SO MUCH
        SHEILA
      • Dottie Hayes
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
          Do we choose the same students to show work samples for each activity in entry 1 or different students for each activity?

        • Karen Cahoon
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
            Choose 2 students and show work sample for each of the 3 activities.

            >>> artwoman69@... 09/11/03 3:45 PM >>>
            Do we choose the same students to show work samples for each activity in
            entry 1 or different students for each activity?

          • Dawn Hicks
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
              Same
              Dawn Hicks
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 15, 2003
                You are trying to show the progress of the students in
                your class, so your final write-up should concentrate
                on two students. The assignments I selected were an
                introductory assignment to show student misconceptions
                and how I would address them, an inquiry based
                assignment, and a student project. Student A did a
                traditional report while student B did a PowerPoint
                Presentation. This showed meeting individual needs.

                Be sure to collect assignments on more than two
                students. If one of your students does not turn in an
                assignment or moves, this will leave you in a bind. I
                collected all assignments and sorted later.

                Also be sure to select students of different ability.
                I selected a low student and a middle level student
                who was proficient in computers.

                Mike
                --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                > Do we choose the same students to show work samples
                > for each activity in entry 1 or different students
                > for each activity?

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Dottie Hayes
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 22, 2003
                  I teach 7th grade.
                  I am doing the concept of "levels of organization in a living organism"
                  cells>tissue>organ>system>organism
                  This is a hard one but hopefully they will get it and show they get it.
                  Dottie

                • bebadog
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 25, 2003
                    I am really having a hard time deciding on topics also. Should I try
                    out several ideas or pick a topic and go for it? Any suggestions on
                    the best method?
                  • Dottie Hayes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 26, 2003
                      I did a lab activity (drawing cells) for activity 1/entry 1. Most of my students'  look like polka dotted squares. I know they want to see understanding over time. I wonder if it is good to start out with (obvious) little understanding then by activity 3 show that the students say "oh, thats what those little dots were".
                      I may have to choose another topic and pick the best.
                      Is anybody out there in north east florida?
                      Dottie

                    • Kathy Dozier
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 27, 2003
                        Did your students have anything, pictures or drawings to
                        use as a guide? What grade are you teaching? I know that
                        showing growth is a good thing, but I'm not yet sure about
                        what they know now. Did they write anything up with this
                        lab? Did they look at slides? Was this an introductory,
                        exploratory lab? Your write up on the activity will help
                        explain much of this.
                        My students, 7th graders, just drew pictures of an
                        organelle in the cell and made a short story, poem or song
                        about the organelle and it's function. They did this
                        after they read took notes on the section in the book, we
                        talked about it in class and they looked at cells under a
                        microscope. I found it was hard for them to understand
                        the concept about the organelles inside cells since it's
                        hard just to see a cell in the classroom.
                        I guess what I am asking you is did they have enough
                        background to do the drawings?
                        Kathy
                      • bebadog
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                          I am really confused about entry one. My big concept is on motion.
                          My three entries are: a lab activity exploring the effects of friction
                          on different surfaces. Students measured the distance objects
                          traveled different surfaces and graphed their results. They then wrote
                          a conclusion. The conclusion was suppose to inculde how friction
                          played into the demo. I had some students that just told results
                          instead of using the term friction. What is the best way to handle
                          this? I worte a comment how they were on the right track but to
                          please add more to the conclusion by telling about the friction that
                          was present.

                          The second entry is on the relationship between mass of an object and
                          the distance traveled. I am still designing this one. I am playing
                          around with including momentum with this, but I am not sure yet.
                          The third is going to be taken from one of the interactive inaternet
                          activities the students are working on in computer lab. My concerns are:
                          1) are these ideas not connected enough
                          2) if a student shows a misconception during the friction lab is
                          appropriate to write on the lab report info that will clarify the
                          misconception.
                          I don't understand how to show student growth since the assignments
                          are so different.
                          I have a feeling I am totally off track on this. I will appreciate
                          any suggestions.
                          Thanks,
                          Mary