Re: [EASCI] entry 1

  • Dawn Hicks
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 23, 2002
      Thank you Sheila
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 2:54 PM
      Subject: Re: [EASCI] entry 1

      >I would be interested in reading your entry 1.  I have a wonderful
      >
      >mentor in my school but she did her boards in math so would love to
      >
      >see a science entry.  At the meeting I have been going to portfolios
      >
      >are always available.  Unfortunately none of them have been science
      >
      >so far.
      >
      >ARE YOU STILL INTERESTED IN READING A SCIENCE ENTRY 1.  IF SO SEND ME YOUR
      >EMAIL AND I WILL SEND IT AND THANK YOU SO MUCH
      SHEILA

      >  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT
      ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.1884387.3381019.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705082178:
      >HM/A=960173/R=0/*http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=29150849&siteid=3924
      >9818&bfpage=moneyyahoo4>

    • Sheila Collins
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
        THANKS DAWN
        SHEILA
      • Sheila Collins
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
          EVERYBODY OUT THERE I MISTAKENLY SENT MY ENTRY 1 TO DAWN WITHOUT USING HER
          EMAIL ADDRESS. PLEASE DELETE THIS. I WAS SUPPOSE TO SEND IT TO HER
          PERSONALLY TO REVIEW. I DID NOT KNOW IT WOULD GO TO EVERYONE AND I NEARLY
          FAINTED WHEN IT CAME BACK TO ME. I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO ANY TROUBLE.
          THANK YOU SO MUCH
          SHEILA
        • Dottie Hayes
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
            Do we choose the same students to show work samples for each activity in entry 1 or different students for each activity?

          • Karen Cahoon
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
              Choose 2 students and show work sample for each of the 3 activities.

              >>> artwoman69@... 09/11/03 3:45 PM >>>

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
                Same
                Dawn Hicks
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 15, 2003
                  You are trying to show the progress of the students in
                  your class, so your final write-up should concentrate
                  on two students. The assignments I selected were an
                  introductory assignment to show student misconceptions
                  and how I would address them, an inquiry based
                  assignment, and a student project. Student A did a
                  traditional report while student B did a PowerPoint
                  Presentation. This showed meeting individual needs.

                  Be sure to collect assignments on more than two
                  students. If one of your students does not turn in an
                  assignment or moves, this will leave you in a bind. I
                  collected all assignments and sorted later.

                  Also be sure to select students of different ability.
                  I selected a low student and a middle level student
                  who was proficient in computers.

                  Mike
                  --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                  > Do we choose the same students to show work samples
                  > for each activity in entry 1 or different students
                  > for each activity?

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Dottie Hayes
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 22, 2003
                    I teach 7th grade.
                    I am doing the concept of "levels of organization in a living organism"
                    cells>tissue>organ>system>organism
                    This is a hard one but hopefully they will get it and show they get it.
                    Dottie

                  • bebadog
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 25, 2003
                      I am really having a hard time deciding on topics also. Should I try
                      out several ideas or pick a topic and go for it? Any suggestions on
                      the best method?
                    • Dottie Hayes
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 26, 2003
                        I did a lab activity (drawing cells) for activity 1/entry 1. Most of my students'  look like polka dotted squares. I know they want to see understanding over time. I wonder if it is good to start out with (obvious) little understanding then by activity 3 show that the students say "oh, thats what those little dots were".
                        I may have to choose another topic and pick the best.
                        Is anybody out there in north east florida?
                        Dottie

                      • Kathy Dozier
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 27, 2003
                          Did your students have anything, pictures or drawings to
                          use as a guide? What grade are you teaching? I know that
                          showing growth is a good thing, but I'm not yet sure about
                          what they know now. Did they write anything up with this
                          lab? Did they look at slides? Was this an introductory,
                          exploratory lab? Your write up on the activity will help
                          explain much of this.
                          My students, 7th graders, just drew pictures of an
                          organelle in the cell and made a short story, poem or song
                          about the organelle and it's function. They did this
                          after they read took notes on the section in the book, we
                          talked about it in class and they looked at cells under a
                          microscope. I found it was hard for them to understand
                          the concept about the organelles inside cells since it's
                          hard just to see a cell in the classroom.
                          I guess what I am asking you is did they have enough
                          background to do the drawings?
                          Kathy
                        • bebadog
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                            I am really confused about entry one. My big concept is on motion.
                            My three entries are: a lab activity exploring the effects of friction
                            on different surfaces. Students measured the distance objects
                            traveled different surfaces and graphed their results. They then wrote
                            a conclusion. The conclusion was suppose to inculde how friction
                            played into the demo. I had some students that just told results
                            instead of using the term friction. What is the best way to handle
                            this? I worte a comment how they were on the right track but to
                            please add more to the conclusion by telling about the friction that
                            was present.

                            The second entry is on the relationship between mass of an object and
                            the distance traveled. I am still designing this one. I am playing
                            around with including momentum with this, but I am not sure yet.
                            The third is going to be taken from one of the interactive inaternet
                            activities the students are working on in computer lab. My concerns are:
                            1) are these ideas not connected enough
                            2) if a student shows a misconception during the friction lab is
                            appropriate to write on the lab report info that will clarify the
                            misconception.
                            I don't understand how to show student growth since the assignments
                            are so different.
                            I have a feeling I am totally off track on this. I will appreciate
                            any suggestions.
                            Thanks,
                            Mary