Re: [EASCI] entry 1

  • Sheila Collins
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 22, 2002
      >I would be interested in reading your entry 1. I have a wonderful
      >
      >mentor in my school but she did her boards in math so would love to
      >
      >see a science entry. At the meeting I have been going to portfolios
      >
      >are always available. Unfortunately none of them have been science
      >
      >so far.
      >
      >ARE YOU STILL INTERESTED IN READING A SCIENCE ENTRY 1. IF SO SEND ME YOUR
      >EMAIL AND I WILL SEND IT AND THANK YOU SO MUCH
      SHEILA

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
      ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.1884387.3381019.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705082178:
      >HM/A=960173/R=0/*http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=29150849&siteid=3924
      >9818&bfpage=moneyyahoo4>
    • Dawn Hicks
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 23, 2002
        Thank you Sheila
        >I would be interested in reading your entry 1.  I have a wonderful
        >
        >mentor in my school but she did her boards in math so would love to
        >
        >see a science entry.  At the meeting I have been going to portfolios
        >
        >are always available.  Unfortunately none of them have been science
        >
        >so far.
        >
        >ARE YOU STILL INTERESTED IN READING A SCIENCE ENTRY 1.  IF SO SEND ME YOUR
        >EMAIL AND I WILL SEND IT AND THANK YOU SO MUCH
        SHEILA

        >  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.1884387.3381019.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705082178:
        >HM/A=960173/R=0/*http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=29150849&siteid=3924
        >9818&bfpage=moneyyahoo4>

      • Sheila Collins
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
          THANKS DAWN
          SHEILA
        • Sheila Collins
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
            EVERYBODY OUT THERE I MISTAKENLY SENT MY ENTRY 1 TO DAWN WITHOUT USING HER
            EMAIL ADDRESS. PLEASE DELETE THIS. I WAS SUPPOSE TO SEND IT TO HER
            PERSONALLY TO REVIEW. I DID NOT KNOW IT WOULD GO TO EVERYONE AND I NEARLY
            FAINTED WHEN IT CAME BACK TO ME. I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO ANY TROUBLE.
            THANK YOU SO MUCH
            SHEILA
          • Dottie Hayes
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 11 12:45 PM
              Do we choose the same students to show work samples for each activity in entry 1 or different students for each activity?

            • Karen Cahoon
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 11 1:33 PM
                Choose 2 students and show work sample for each of the 3 activities.

                >>> artwoman69@... 09/11/03 3:45 PM >>>

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 11 7:30 PM
                  Same
                  Dawn Hicks
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 15 9:58 AM
                    You are trying to show the progress of the students in
                    your class, so your final write-up should concentrate
                    on two students. The assignments I selected were an
                    introductory assignment to show student misconceptions
                    and how I would address them, an inquiry based
                    assignment, and a student project. Student A did a
                    traditional report while student B did a PowerPoint
                    Presentation. This showed meeting individual needs.

                    Be sure to collect assignments on more than two
                    students. If one of your students does not turn in an
                    assignment or moves, this will leave you in a bind. I
                    collected all assignments and sorted later.

                    Also be sure to select students of different ability.
                    I selected a low student and a middle level student
                    who was proficient in computers.

                    Mike
                    --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                    > Do we choose the same students to show work samples
                    > for each activity in entry 1 or different students
                    > for each activity?

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Dottie Hayes
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 22 8:45 AM
                      I teach 7th grade.
                      I am doing the concept of "levels of organization in a living organism"
                      cells>tissue>organ>system>organism
                      This is a hard one but hopefully they will get it and show they get it.
                      Dottie

                    • bebadog
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 25 6:37 PM
                        I am really having a hard time deciding on topics also. Should I try
                        out several ideas or pick a topic and go for it? Any suggestions on
                        the best method?
                      • Dottie Hayes
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 26 4:21 AM
                          I did a lab activity (drawing cells) for activity 1/entry 1. Most of my students'  look like polka dotted squares. I know they want to see understanding over time. I wonder if it is good to start out with (obvious) little understanding then by activity 3 show that the students say "oh, thats what those little dots were".
                          I may have to choose another topic and pick the best.
                          Is anybody out there in north east florida?
                          Dottie

                        • Kathy Dozier
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 27 2:06 PM
                            Did your students have anything, pictures or drawings to
                            use as a guide? What grade are you teaching? I know that
                            showing growth is a good thing, but I'm not yet sure about
                            what they know now. Did they write anything up with this
                            lab? Did they look at slides? Was this an introductory,
                            exploratory lab? Your write up on the activity will help
                            explain much of this.
                            My students, 7th graders, just drew pictures of an
                            organelle in the cell and made a short story, poem or song
                            about the organelle and it's function. They did this
                            after they read took notes on the section in the book, we
                            talked about it in class and they looked at cells under a
                            microscope. I found it was hard for them to understand
                            the concept about the organelles inside cells since it's
                            hard just to see a cell in the classroom.
                            I guess what I am asking you is did they have enough
                            background to do the drawings?
                            Kathy
                          • bebadog
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                              I am really confused about entry one. My big concept is on motion.
                              My three entries are: a lab activity exploring the effects of friction
                              on different surfaces. Students measured the distance objects
                              traveled different surfaces and graphed their results. They then wrote
                              a conclusion. The conclusion was suppose to inculde how friction
                              played into the demo. I had some students that just told results
                              instead of using the term friction. What is the best way to handle
                              this? I worte a comment how they were on the right track but to
                              please add more to the conclusion by telling about the friction that
                              was present.

                              The second entry is on the relationship between mass of an object and
                              the distance traveled. I am still designing this one. I am playing
                              around with including momentum with this, but I am not sure yet.
                              The third is going to be taken from one of the interactive inaternet
                              activities the students are working on in computer lab. My concerns are:
                              1) are these ideas not connected enough
                              2) if a student shows a misconception during the friction lab is
                              appropriate to write on the lab report info that will clarify the
                              misconception.
                              I don't understand how to show student growth since the assignments
                              are so different.
                              I have a feeling I am totally off track on this. I will appreciate
                              any suggestions.
                              Thanks,
                              Mary