entry 1

  • dhicks27
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 19, 2002
      I would be interested in reading your entry 1. I have a wonderful
      mentor in my school but she did her boards in math so would love to
      see a science entry. At the meeting I have been going to portfolios
      are always available. Unfortunately none of them have been science
      so far.
    • Sheila Collins
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 22, 2002
        >I would be interested in reading your entry 1. I have a wonderful
        >
        >mentor in my school but she did her boards in math so would love to
        >
        >see a science entry. At the meeting I have been going to portfolios
        >
        >are always available. Unfortunately none of them have been science
        >
        >so far.
        >
        >ARE YOU STILL INTERESTED IN READING A SCIENCE ENTRY 1. IF SO SEND ME YOUR
        >EMAIL AND I WILL SEND IT AND THANK YOU SO MUCH
        SHEILA

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.1884387.3381019.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705082178:
        >HM/A=960173/R=0/*http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=29150849&siteid=3924
        >9818&bfpage=moneyyahoo4>
      • Dawn Hicks
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 23, 2002
          Thank you Sheila
          >I would be interested in reading your entry 1.  I have a wonderful
          >
          >mentor in my school but she did her boards in math so would love to
          >
          >see a science entry.  At the meeting I have been going to portfolios
          >
          >are always available.  Unfortunately none of them have been science
          >
          >so far.
          >
          >ARE YOU STILL INTERESTED IN READING A SCIENCE ENTRY 1.  IF SO SEND ME YOUR
          >EMAIL AND I WILL SEND IT AND THANK YOU SO MUCH
          SHEILA

          >  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=217097.1884387.3381019.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705082178:
          >HM/A=960173/R=0/*http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=29150849&siteid=3924
          >9818&bfpage=moneyyahoo4>

        • Sheila Collins
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
            THANKS DAWN
            SHEILA
          • Sheila Collins
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
              EVERYBODY OUT THERE I MISTAKENLY SENT MY ENTRY 1 TO DAWN WITHOUT USING HER
              EMAIL ADDRESS. PLEASE DELETE THIS. I WAS SUPPOSE TO SEND IT TO HER
              PERSONALLY TO REVIEW. I DID NOT KNOW IT WOULD GO TO EVERYONE AND I NEARLY
              FAINTED WHEN IT CAME BACK TO ME. I DO NOT WANT TO GET INTO ANY TROUBLE.
              THANK YOU SO MUCH
              SHEILA
            • Dottie Hayes
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
                Do we choose the same students to show work samples for each activity in entry 1 or different students for each activity?

              • Karen Cahoon
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
                  Choose 2 students and show work sample for each of the 3 activities.

                  >>> artwoman69@... 09/11/03 3:45 PM >>>

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 11, 2003
                    Same
                    Dawn Hicks
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 15, 2003
                      You are trying to show the progress of the students in
                      your class, so your final write-up should concentrate
                      on two students. The assignments I selected were an
                      introductory assignment to show student misconceptions
                      and how I would address them, an inquiry based
                      assignment, and a student project. Student A did a
                      traditional report while student B did a PowerPoint
                      Presentation. This showed meeting individual needs.

                      Be sure to collect assignments on more than two
                      students. If one of your students does not turn in an
                      assignment or moves, this will leave you in a bind. I
                      collected all assignments and sorted later.

                      Also be sure to select students of different ability.
                      I selected a low student and a middle level student
                      who was proficient in computers.

                      Mike
                      --- Dottie Hayes <artwoman69@...> wrote:
                      > Do we choose the same students to show work samples
                      > for each activity in entry 1 or different students
                      > for each activity?

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Dottie Hayes
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 22, 2003
                        I teach 7th grade.
                        I am doing the concept of "levels of organization in a living organism"
                        cells>tissue>organ>system>organism
                        This is a hard one but hopefully they will get it and show they get it.
                        Dottie

                      • bebadog
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 25, 2003
                          I am really having a hard time deciding on topics also. Should I try
                          out several ideas or pick a topic and go for it? Any suggestions on
                          the best method?
                        • Dottie Hayes
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 26, 2003
                            I did a lab activity (drawing cells) for activity 1/entry 1. Most of my students'  look like polka dotted squares. I know they want to see understanding over time. I wonder if it is good to start out with (obvious) little understanding then by activity 3 show that the students say "oh, thats what those little dots were".
                            I may have to choose another topic and pick the best.
                            Is anybody out there in north east florida?
                            Dottie

                          • Kathy Dozier
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 27, 2003
                              Did your students have anything, pictures or drawings to
                              use as a guide? What grade are you teaching? I know that
                              showing growth is a good thing, but I'm not yet sure about
                              what they know now. Did they write anything up with this
                              lab? Did they look at slides? Was this an introductory,
                              exploratory lab? Your write up on the activity will help
                              explain much of this.
                              My students, 7th graders, just drew pictures of an
                              organelle in the cell and made a short story, poem or song
                              about the organelle and it's function. They did this
                              after they read took notes on the section in the book, we
                              talked about it in class and they looked at cells under a
                              microscope. I found it was hard for them to understand
                              the concept about the organelles inside cells since it's
                              hard just to see a cell in the classroom.
                              I guess what I am asking you is did they have enough
                              background to do the drawings?
                              Kathy
                            • bebadog
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 1, 2004
                                I am really confused about entry one. My big concept is on motion.
                                My three entries are: a lab activity exploring the effects of friction
                                on different surfaces. Students measured the distance objects
                                traveled different surfaces and graphed their results. They then wrote
                                a conclusion. The conclusion was suppose to inculde how friction
                                played into the demo. I had some students that just told results
                                instead of using the term friction. What is the best way to handle
                                this? I worte a comment how they were on the right track but to
                                please add more to the conclusion by telling about the friction that
                                was present.

                                The second entry is on the relationship between mass of an object and
                                the distance traveled. I am still designing this one. I am playing
                                around with including momentum with this, but I am not sure yet.
                                The third is going to be taken from one of the interactive inaternet
                                activities the students are working on in computer lab. My concerns are:
                                1) are these ideas not connected enough
                                2) if a student shows a misconception during the friction lab is
                                appropriate to write on the lab report info that will clarify the
                                misconception.
                                I don't understand how to show student growth since the assignments
                                are so different.
                                I have a feeling I am totally off track on this. I will appreciate
                                any suggestions.
                                Thanks,
                                Mary