Re: [EASCI] Reader Needed!

  • Cynthia Crisp
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
      It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my mentor!!

      >>> dozierk@... 02/19/02 08:24AM >>>
      Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
      passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
      from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
      the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
      believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
      what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
      opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
      thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
      sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?

    • dozierk@cms.kershaw.k12.sc.us
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
        Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
        anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
        work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
        National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for anyone
        to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
        the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
        portfolio's is that not ethical?

        At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
        work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
        the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
        mentor!!

        >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
        >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
        >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
        >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
        >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
        >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
        >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
        >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
        >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
        >

        >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
        >>I believe that would not be ethical.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Yvette Laughlin
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 23, 2002
          Sharing your portfolio, as in allowing others to scan through to learn the
          method is one thing (in your presence), but sending an actual copy to
          another person is entirely different, it is unethical.

          > Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
          > anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
          > work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
          > National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for
          anyone
          > to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
          > the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
          > portfolio's is that not ethical?
          >

          > At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
          > >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
          > work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
          > the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
          > mentor!!

          > >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people
          who
          > >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a
          class
          > >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is
          not
          > >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
          > >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
          > >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
          > >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
          > >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
          > >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
          > >

          > >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
          > >>I believe that would not be ethical.

        • Susan Lewis
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 24, 2002

            I agree with Yvette.  We in my mentoring group were allowed to look at our mentor's portfolio in her presence, but we didn't get to take any part of it with us.  This is supposed to be your work and all of us had to work like crazy to acheive NBCT.