Re: [EASCI] Reader Needed!

  • Stephen & Becki James
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2002
      Dear Pat,
      Thank you so much for replying to my email.  I have sent you a copy of my
      Entry 2 along with the 2001-2002 EASCI instructions for it.  (I scanned the
      instructions which translated into a somewhat different format than what is
      in my notebook, but I think they are still readable.)  After you read this, I
      have these questions about it:
      1.  Are the standards addressed?  Am I supposed to mention the standards by
      name more specifically?
      2.  When it asks to provide an instructional sequence, I chose their
      suggestion of doing an outline format.  Was this effective?  Is there a
      problem with it being single spaced? (It didn't look like an outline while
      double-spaced.)
      3.  If this outline idea is not good, should I change it to a paragraph
      description instead?  OR  Should I refer to it as an appendix page at the
      end of my entry?
      4.  Have I answered all of their questions in my written commentary?  Do any
      of them need more elaboration?
      5.  Is there any part of my written commentary where I "ramble-on" so much
      that I need to delete any of the information?

      PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BE VERY CRITICAL OF MY WORK.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I HAVE
      DONE RIGHT AND WRONG!

      You are such a dear to take the time to help me.  I appreciate all that you
      have done to help me be successful in this endeavor!
      Sincerely,  Becki
      P.S.  Let me know if you are unable to open my attachements.  I sent them in
      MS Word 2000.
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 18, 2002
        I believe that would not be ethical.

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
          Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
          passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
          from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
          the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
          believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
          what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
          opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
          thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
          sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?

          At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
          >I believe that would not be ethical.

        • Cynthia Crisp
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
            It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my mentor!!

            >>> dozierk@... 02/19/02 08:24AM >>>

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
              Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
              anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
              work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
              National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for anyone
              to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
              the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
              portfolio's is that not ethical?

              At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
              >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
              work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
              the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
              mentor!!

              >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
              >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
              >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
              >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
              >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
              >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
              >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
              >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
              >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
              >

              >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
              >>I believe that would not be ethical.

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Yvette Laughlin
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 23, 2002
                Sharing your portfolio, as in allowing others to scan through to learn the
                method is one thing (in your presence), but sending an actual copy to
                another person is entirely different, it is unethical.

                > Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
                > anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
                > work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
                > National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for
                anyone
                > to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
                > the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
                > portfolio's is that not ethical?
                >

                > At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
                > >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
                > work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
                > the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
                > mentor!!

                > >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people
                who
                > >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a
                class
                > >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is
                not
                > >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                > >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                > >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                > >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                > >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                > >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
                > >

                > >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                > >>I believe that would not be ethical.

              • Susan Lewis
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 24, 2002

                  I agree with Yvette.  We in my mentoring group were allowed to look at our mentor's portfolio in her presence, but we didn't get to take any part of it with us.  This is supposed to be your work and all of us had to work like crazy to acheive NBCT.