Re: [EASCI] Reader Needed!

  • kathy rogers
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 8, 2002
      --- Patrick Rogers <rogers_p@...> wrote:
      > Becki-- My name is Pat Rogers. I am an EASCI
      > certified teacher from Florida. I would be happy to
      > offer any help in proof reading or mentoring that I
      > can. If you are able to e-mail me your entry I
      > would be happy to review it from an accomplished
      > teaching perspective. Unfortunately, I am not the
      > one to proofread for grammar or language mechanics.
      > Patrick Rogers
      > NBCT

      thank you so much for your offer. I'd like to ask you
      a few questions if you don't mind about the assessment
      entry. What types of assessment do you think NBC is
      looking for? I teach 6th grade and we're about to
      begin our forces and motion unit.(newton's laws. I
      have my students do diagrams and explanations in their
      science journals. My friend (also NBC in math) says I
      should focus on a skill, such as inferring, but I
      really am having a hard time visualizing that. Im
      beginningn to think maybe Im not so accomplished:)
      anyway what are your thoughts? Id really appreciate
      any feedback at all.
      kathy rogers
      kathyteach@...

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Stephen & Becki James
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2002
        Dear Pat,
        Thank you so much for replying to my email.  I have sent you a copy of my
        Entry 2 along with the 2001-2002 EASCI instructions for it.  (I scanned the
        instructions which translated into a somewhat different format than what is
        in my notebook, but I think they are still readable.)  After you read this, I
        have these questions about it:
        1.  Are the standards addressed?  Am I supposed to mention the standards by
        name more specifically?
        2.  When it asks to provide an instructional sequence, I chose their
        suggestion of doing an outline format.  Was this effective?  Is there a
        problem with it being single spaced? (It didn't look like an outline while
        double-spaced.)
        3.  If this outline idea is not good, should I change it to a paragraph
        description instead?  OR  Should I refer to it as an appendix page at the
        end of my entry?
        4.  Have I answered all of their questions in my written commentary?  Do any
        of them need more elaboration?
        5.  Is there any part of my written commentary where I "ramble-on" so much
        that I need to delete any of the information?

        PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BE VERY CRITICAL OF MY WORK.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I HAVE
        DONE RIGHT AND WRONG!

        You are such a dear to take the time to help me.  I appreciate all that you
        have done to help me be successful in this endeavor!
        Sincerely,  Becki
        P.S.  Let me know if you are unable to open my attachements.  I sent them in
        MS Word 2000.
[...]

      • Yvette Laughlin
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 18, 2002
          I believe that would not be ethical.

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
            Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
            passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
            from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
            the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
            believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
            what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
            opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
            thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
            sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?

            At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
            >I believe that would not be ethical.

          • Cynthia Crisp
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
              It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my mentor!!

              >>> dozierk@... 02/19/02 08:24AM >>>

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
                Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
                anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
                work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
                National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for anyone
                to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
                the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
                portfolio's is that not ethical?

                At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
                >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
                work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
                the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
                mentor!!

                >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
                >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
                >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
                >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
                >

                >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                >>I believe that would not be ethical.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Yvette Laughlin
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 23, 2002
                  Sharing your portfolio, as in allowing others to scan through to learn the
                  method is one thing (in your presence), but sending an actual copy to
                  another person is entirely different, it is unethical.

                  > Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
                  > anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
                  > work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
                  > National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for
                  anyone
                  > to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
                  > the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
                  > portfolio's is that not ethical?
                  >

                  > At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
                  > >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
                  > work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
                  > the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
                  > mentor!!

                  > >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people
                  who
                  > >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a
                  class
                  > >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is
                  not
                  > >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                  > >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                  > >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                  > >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                  > >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                  > >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
                  > >

                  > >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                  > >>I believe that would not be ethical.

                • Susan Lewis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 24, 2002

                    I agree with Yvette.  We in my mentoring group were allowed to look at our mentor's portfolio in her presence, but we didn't get to take any part of it with us.  This is supposed to be your work and all of us had to work like crazy to acheive NBCT.