Re: [EASCI] Reader Needed!

  • Patrick Rogers
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 7, 2002
      Becki-- My name is Pat Rogers.  I am an EASCI certified teacher from Florida.  I would be happy to offer any help in proof reading or mentoring that I can.  If you are able to e-mail me your entry I would be happy to review it from an accomplished teaching perspective. Unfortunately, I am not the one to proofread for grammar or language mechanics.
      Patrick Rogers
      NBCT
      As I am finishing my entries, I would like to have an EASCI certified teacher to proofread my work.  I need someone to be brutally honest with me and tell me if I am on the right track or not.  I would also like to have a mentor.  Does anyone know how I can get some help with this?  I have read the message boards and know how important it is to not go at this alone.  (Who would want to!?)  I have been to my state's NBPTS workshops, but I have not had any luck finding someone certified in EASCI that can help me.  Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks for your time!
      Becki

    • kathy rogers
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 8, 2002
        --- Patrick Rogers <rogers_p@...> wrote:
        > Becki-- My name is Pat Rogers. I am an EASCI
        > certified teacher from Florida. I would be happy to
        > offer any help in proof reading or mentoring that I
        > can. If you are able to e-mail me your entry I
        > would be happy to review it from an accomplished
        > teaching perspective. Unfortunately, I am not the
        > one to proofread for grammar or language mechanics.
        > Patrick Rogers
        > NBCT

        thank you so much for your offer. I'd like to ask you
        a few questions if you don't mind about the assessment
        entry. What types of assessment do you think NBC is
        looking for? I teach 6th grade and we're about to
        begin our forces and motion unit.(newton's laws. I
        have my students do diagrams and explanations in their
        science journals. My friend (also NBC in math) says I
        should focus on a skill, such as inferring, but I
        really am having a hard time visualizing that. Im
        beginningn to think maybe Im not so accomplished:)
        anyway what are your thoughts? Id really appreciate
        any feedback at all.
        kathy rogers
        kathyteach@...

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Stephen & Becki James
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2002
          Dear Pat,
          Thank you so much for replying to my email.  I have sent you a copy of my
          Entry 2 along with the 2001-2002 EASCI instructions for it.  (I scanned the
          instructions which translated into a somewhat different format than what is
          in my notebook, but I think they are still readable.)  After you read this, I
          have these questions about it:
          1.  Are the standards addressed?  Am I supposed to mention the standards by
          name more specifically?
          2.  When it asks to provide an instructional sequence, I chose their
          suggestion of doing an outline format.  Was this effective?  Is there a
          problem with it being single spaced? (It didn't look like an outline while
          double-spaced.)
          3.  If this outline idea is not good, should I change it to a paragraph
          description instead?  OR  Should I refer to it as an appendix page at the
          end of my entry?
          4.  Have I answered all of their questions in my written commentary?  Do any
          of them need more elaboration?
          5.  Is there any part of my written commentary where I "ramble-on" so much
          that I need to delete any of the information?

          PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BE VERY CRITICAL OF MY WORK.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I HAVE
          DONE RIGHT AND WRONG!

          You are such a dear to take the time to help me.  I appreciate all that you
          have done to help me be successful in this endeavor!
          Sincerely,  Becki
          P.S.  Let me know if you are unable to open my attachements.  I sent them in
          MS Word 2000.
[...]

        • Yvette Laughlin
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 18, 2002
            I believe that would not be ethical.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
              Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
              passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
              from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
              the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
              believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
              what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
              opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
              thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
              sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?

              At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
              >I believe that would not be ethical.

            • Cynthia Crisp
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
                It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my mentor!!

                >>> dozierk@... 02/19/02 08:24AM >>>

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
                  Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
                  anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
                  work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
                  National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for anyone
                  to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
                  the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
                  portfolio's is that not ethical?

                  At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
                  >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
                  work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
                  the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
                  mentor!!

                  >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
                  >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
                  >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
                  >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                  >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                  >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                  >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                  >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                  >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
                  >

                  >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                  >>I believe that would not be ethical.

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Yvette Laughlin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 23, 2002
                    Sharing your portfolio, as in allowing others to scan through to learn the
                    method is one thing (in your presence), but sending an actual copy to
                    another person is entirely different, it is unethical.

                    > Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
                    > anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
                    > work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
                    > National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for
                    anyone
                    > to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
                    > the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
                    > portfolio's is that not ethical?
                    >

                    > At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
                    > >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
                    > work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
                    > the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
                    > mentor!!

                    > >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people
                    who
                    > >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a
                    class
                    > >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is
                    not
                    > >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                    > >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                    > >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                    > >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                    > >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                    > >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
                    > >

                    > >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                    > >>I believe that would not be ethical.

                  • Susan Lewis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 24, 2002

                      I agree with Yvette.  We in my mentoring group were allowed to look at our mentor's portfolio in her presence, but we didn't get to take any part of it with us.  This is supposed to be your work and all of us had to work like crazy to acheive NBCT.