Reader Needed!

  • Stephen & Becki James
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 4, 2002
      As I am finishing my entries, I would like to have an EASCI certified teacher to proofread my work.  I need someone to be brutally honest with me and tell me if I am on the right track or not.  I would also like to have a mentor.  Does anyone know how I can get some help with this?  I have read the message boards and know how important it is to not go at this alone.  (Who would want to!?)  I have been to my state's NBPTS workshops, but I have not had any luck finding someone certified in EASCI that can help me.  Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks for your time!
      Becki

    • dozierk@cms.kershaw.k12.sc.us
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2002
        Shelia,

        I passed Entry 1 with a 3.75. If you send me your e-mail address I will
        send you a copy of my entry 1.

        At 08:55 AM 2/5/02 -0500, you wrote:
        >IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO PASSED ENTRY 1? DID YOU DESCRIBE THE THREE
        >ACTIVITIES IN THE PLANNING PART OR DID YOU JUST SUMMARIZE? DID YOU GIVE
        >MOST OF THE DETAILS IN THE INSTRUCTIONAL ACTIVITY COVER SHEET? THANKS FOR
        >THE HELP
        >SHEILA

      • Cynthia Crisp

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2002
              Becki-- My name is Pat Rogers.  I am an EASCI certified teacher from Florida.  I would be happy to offer any help in proof reading or mentoring that I can.  If you are able to e-mail me your entry I would be happy to review it from an accomplished teaching perspective. Unfortunately, I am not the one to proofread for grammar or language mechanics.
              Patrick Rogers
              NBCT
              As I am finishing my entries, I would like to have an EASCI certified teacher to proofread my work.  I need someone to be brutally honest with me and tell me if I am on the right track or not.  I would also like to have a mentor.  Does anyone know how I can get some help with this?  I have read the message boards and know how important it is to not go at this alone.  (Who would want to!?)  I have been to my state's NBPTS workshops, but I have not had any luck finding someone certified in EASCI that can help me.  Any assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks for your time!
              Becki

            • kathy rogers
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2002
                --- Patrick Rogers <rogers_p@...> wrote:
                > Becki-- My name is Pat Rogers. I am an EASCI
                > certified teacher from Florida. I would be happy to
                > offer any help in proof reading or mentoring that I
                > can. If you are able to e-mail me your entry I
                > would be happy to review it from an accomplished
                > teaching perspective. Unfortunately, I am not the
                > one to proofread for grammar or language mechanics.
                > Patrick Rogers
                > NBCT

                thank you so much for your offer. I'd like to ask you
                a few questions if you don't mind about the assessment
                entry. What types of assessment do you think NBC is
                looking for? I teach 6th grade and we're about to
                begin our forces and motion unit.(newton's laws. I
                have my students do diagrams and explanations in their
                science journals. My friend (also NBC in math) says I
                should focus on a skill, such as inferring, but I
                really am having a hard time visualizing that. Im
                beginningn to think maybe Im not so accomplished:)
                anyway what are your thoughts? Id really appreciate
                any feedback at all.
                kathy rogers
                kathyteach@...

                http://greetings.yahoo.com
              • Stephen & Becki James
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 17, 2002
                  Dear Pat,
                  Thank you so much for replying to my email.  I have sent you a copy of my
                  Entry 2 along with the 2001-2002 EASCI instructions for it.  (I scanned the
                  instructions which translated into a somewhat different format than what is
                  in my notebook, but I think they are still readable.)  After you read this, I
                  have these questions about it:
                  1.  Are the standards addressed?  Am I supposed to mention the standards by
                  name more specifically?
                  2.  When it asks to provide an instructional sequence, I chose their
                  suggestion of doing an outline format.  Was this effective?  Is there a
                  problem with it being single spaced? (It didn't look like an outline while
                  double-spaced.)
                  3.  If this outline idea is not good, should I change it to a paragraph
                  description instead?  OR  Should I refer to it as an appendix page at the
                  end of my entry?
                  4.  Have I answered all of their questions in my written commentary?  Do any
                  of them need more elaboration?
                  5.  Is there any part of my written commentary where I "ramble-on" so much
                  that I need to delete any of the information?

                  PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BE VERY CRITICAL OF MY WORK.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I HAVE
                  DONE RIGHT AND WRONG!

                  You are such a dear to take the time to help me.  I appreciate all that you
                  have done to help me be successful in this endeavor!
                  Sincerely,  Becki
                  P.S.  Let me know if you are unable to open my attachements.  I sent them in
                  MS Word 2000.
[...]

                • Yvette Laughlin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 18, 2002
                    I believe that would not be ethical.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
                      Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
                      passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
                      from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
                      the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                      believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                      what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                      opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                      thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                      sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?

                      At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                      >I believe that would not be ethical.

                    • Cynthia Crisp
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
                        It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my mentor!!

                        >>> dozierk@... 02/19/02 08:24AM >>>

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 19, 2002
                          Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
                          anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
                          work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
                          National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for anyone
                          to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
                          the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
                          portfolio's is that not ethical?

                          At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
                          >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
                          work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
                          the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
                          mentor!!

                          >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people who
                          >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a class
                          >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is not
                          >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                          >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                          >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                          >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                          >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                          >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
                          >

                          >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                          >>I believe that would not be ethical.

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Yvette Laughlin
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 23, 2002
                            Sharing your portfolio, as in allowing others to scan through to learn the
                            method is one thing (in your presence), but sending an actual copy to
                            another person is entirely different, it is unethical.

                            > Cynthia, I signed an agreement not to discuss the assessment center with
                            > anyone. Not anything to do with the portfolio. I signed saying it was my
                            > work that I submitted and it was. At every science conference that had a
                            > National Board workshop the presenters had their portfolio there for
                            anyone
                            > to look through. Was that ethical in your thinking? When a class through
                            > the local college has people come in that have passed NB to share their
                            > portfolio's is that not ethical?
                            >

                            > At 08:51 AM 2/19/02 -0500, you wrote:
                            > >It is not ethical. For one reason we signed an agreement not to show our
                            > work to anyone. Also, I worked long and hard to pass NB ( not to mention
                            > the sacrifices I made to my family). No one showed me theirs not even my
                            > mentor!!

                            > >Why do you believe it is not ethical? I read many entries from people
                            who
                            > >passed 4 and 5 before I finished my portfolio. I did this through a
                            class
                            > >from a college. People are not going to copy what you wrote. That is
                            not
                            > >the understanding here. It is to get an idea of how to write. I do
                            > >believe many times in our classes at school we show students examples of
                            > >what we would like to see from them. I also believe I was given the
                            > >opportunity in college to see examples from the professors of work they
                            > >thought was quality so we could get an idea of what he wanted. Why is
                            > >sharing an entry that was scored well unethical?
                            > >

                            > >At 11:06 PM 2/18/02 -0600, you wrote:
                            > >>I believe that would not be ethical.

                          • Susan Lewis
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 24, 2002

                              I agree with Yvette.  We in my mentoring group were allowed to look at our mentor's portfolio in her presence, but we didn't get to take any part of it with us.  This is supposed to be your work and all of us had to work like crazy to acheive NBCT.