Re: [EASCI] Here to Help

  • Sheila Collins
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
      HELP. I MADE A 1.25 ON ENTRY 1 AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT I DID WRONG. I HAD
      MENTORS. ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW
      SHEILA
    • Susan Lewis
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
        --- Sheila Collins <scollins@...>
        wrote:
        > HELP. I MADE A 1.25 ON ENTRY 1 AND DO NOT KNOW
        > WHAT I DID WRONG. I HAD
        > MENTORS. ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME
        > KNOW
        > SHEILA
        >
        > My entry 1 wasn't so good either. I believe that I
        picked a topic that was too broad and also I picked
        work samples that didn't show the kids using higher
        order thinking skills. One of my activities was good,
        but the others weren't. The one I thought was the
        good one involved the kids role playing what it would
        be like to be an endangered species living in a coral
        reef. They then had to take the activity and relate
        it to the ecosystem where we live.

        Two books that really helped me were The National
        Science Standards and Pathways to the Science
        Standards. You can get them along with other books
        you might find useful at NSTA.org

        or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • v1945@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
          I would be glad to try to help you. I live in Ohio, so face to face meeting
          would be rather difficult. I banked the first year, and needed only 5 points
          to become certified. I reworked my #1and gained more than enough points to
          reach the golden number.
          My year required 6 portfolios, and 4 90 minute tests.

          Are you on this regime or the 4 portfolio, 6 30 minute tests? If you are on
          the second regime, I would need the requirements copied and mailed, snail
          mail, to know the specific requirements.
          I needed to use a different science lesson that the first year, do you?
          You could email me and attach your entry to my school address:
          Victoria_Kraner@...
          as I download documents much faster there. Then I could make suggestions, but
          remember, I am not an assessor, just a fellow teacher.

          THIS IS DOABLE, if I was able to do it!!!! Hope I can help! Good luck!
          Vicki
        • ccrisp2
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
            --Hi! I live in South Carolina and I passed on the first time. I
            teach 8th grade Science.The main focus is Earth Science. My scores on
            Entry 1, 2, and 6 were 3.0; Entry 4 and 5 were 2.75( just did
            pass);and Entry 3 was 3.375. I'm here to help if I can. I can tell
            you what I did the different Entries on and how I went about doing it
            if you want. Just remember know the National Science Standards ...
            get a copy of the book...( and of course the NBPTS standards) and
            when you write your Entries intergrate their language with yours.
            Join a cohort group. It doesn't matter if the others are not
            Science. Mine weren't. Do not try it alone! If possible, have a
            NBCertified Teacher read your work!! I did and I cannot tell you how
            much it helped! Remember focus on higher order process skills and
            science process skills, not remembering science facts!! Good Luck to
            everyone, Cindy - In EASCI@y..., <rmikell2@n...> wrote:

            > HELP HELP HELP!!!
            > I live in Philadelphia, MS and need to work on Entrie 2 and 3.
            > PLEAAAAAAAASE help me with these entries. I am absolutely lost
            > on Entry 2, and in fact thought that one was pretty good!!. On
            > Entry 3, I am confused as to just what they were looking for. I
            would
            > be glad to meet with you at your convenience and whereever would be
            > the best for you to meet. I could really use someone who passed
            these
            > entries to give me some ideas and would you consider to read my
            > entries and tell me what I need to do to them. I need to at least
            > bring my scores up to 3.0+!! YIKES!! I made 1.25 on each of these
            > entries and they were read by previous assessors, email buds who
            > passed these entries with near 4s, language arts teachers, and even
            my
            > wife!!!! They all said they looked good and covered the things
            asked
            > for. OH WEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL! Please respond to this at
            > rmikell2@n... that is my workhorse computer!!! Thanks for
            > anything that you decide. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
            > ROBERT MIKELL
          • mary edmunds
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2001
              Hi Sheila,
              I got almost a 4 and have coached for four years, send
              me the entry and the questions,
              I will help you,
              maryk
              --- Sheila Collins <scollins@...>