Here to Help

  • sciencegoddess125
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9, 2001
      I live in Mississippi and just got my certification. I would be glad
      to help anyone who has questions. Good Luck!
      Susan Lewis NBCT 2001
    • rmikell2@netdoor.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
        HELP HELP HELP!!!
        I live in Philadelphia, MS and need to work on Entrie 2 and 3.
        PLEAAAAAAAASE help me with these entries. I am absolutely lost
        on Entry 2, and in fact thought that one was pretty good!!. On
        Entry 3, I am confused as to just what they were looking for. I would
        be glad to meet with you at your convenience and whereever would be
        the best for you to meet. I could really use someone who passed these
        entries to give me some ideas and would you consider to read my
        entries and tell me what I need to do to them. I need to at least
        bring my scores up to 3.0+!! YIKES!! I made 1.25 on each of these
        entries and they were read by previous assessors, email buds who
        passed these entries with near 4s, language arts teachers, and even my
        wife!!!! They all said they looked good and covered the things asked
        for. OH WEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL! Please respond to this at
        rmikell2@... that is my workhorse computer!!! Thanks for
        anything that you decide. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
        ROBERT MIKELL
      • Sheila Collins
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2001
          HELP. I MADE A 1.25 ON ENTRY 1 AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT I DID WRONG. I HAD
          MENTORS. ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW
          SHEILA
        • Susan Lewis
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
            --- Sheila Collins <scollins@...>
            wrote:
            > HELP. I MADE A 1.25 ON ENTRY 1 AND DO NOT KNOW
            > WHAT I DID WRONG. I HAD
            > MENTORS. ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN HELP PLEASE LET ME
            > KNOW
            > SHEILA
            >
            > My entry 1 wasn't so good either. I believe that I
            picked a topic that was too broad and also I picked
            work samples that didn't show the kids using higher
            order thinking skills. One of my activities was good,
            but the others weren't. The one I thought was the
            good one involved the kids role playing what it would
            be like to be an endangered species living in a coral
            reef. They then had to take the activity and relate
            it to the ecosystem where we live.

            Two books that really helped me were The National
            Science Standards and Pathways to the Science
            Standards. You can get them along with other books
            you might find useful at NSTA.org

            or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
          • v1945@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
              I would be glad to try to help you. I live in Ohio, so face to face meeting
              would be rather difficult. I banked the first year, and needed only 5 points
              to become certified. I reworked my #1and gained more than enough points to
              reach the golden number.
              My year required 6 portfolios, and 4 90 minute tests.

              Are you on this regime or the 4 portfolio, 6 30 minute tests? If you are on
              the second regime, I would need the requirements copied and mailed, snail
              mail, to know the specific requirements.
              I needed to use a different science lesson that the first year, do you?
              You could email me and attach your entry to my school address:
              Victoria_Kraner@...
              as I download documents much faster there. Then I could make suggestions, but
              remember, I am not an assessor, just a fellow teacher.

              THIS IS DOABLE, if I was able to do it!!!! Hope I can help! Good luck!
              Vicki
            • ccrisp2
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
                --Hi! I live in South Carolina and I passed on the first time. I
                teach 8th grade Science.The main focus is Earth Science. My scores on
                Entry 1, 2, and 6 were 3.0; Entry 4 and 5 were 2.75( just did
                pass);and Entry 3 was 3.375. I'm here to help if I can. I can tell
                you what I did the different Entries on and how I went about doing it
                if you want. Just remember know the National Science Standards ...
                get a copy of the book...( and of course the NBPTS standards) and
                when you write your Entries intergrate their language with yours.
                Join a cohort group. It doesn't matter if the others are not
                Science. Mine weren't. Do not try it alone! If possible, have a
                NBCertified Teacher read your work!! I did and I cannot tell you how
                much it helped! Remember focus on higher order process skills and
                science process skills, not remembering science facts!! Good Luck to
                everyone, Cindy - In EASCI@y..., <rmikell2@n...> wrote:

                > HELP HELP HELP!!!
                > I live in Philadelphia, MS and need to work on Entrie 2 and 3.
                > PLEAAAAAAAASE help me with these entries. I am absolutely lost
                > on Entry 2, and in fact thought that one was pretty good!!. On
                > Entry 3, I am confused as to just what they were looking for. I
                would
                > be glad to meet with you at your convenience and whereever would be
                > the best for you to meet. I could really use someone who passed
                these
                > entries to give me some ideas and would you consider to read my
                > entries and tell me what I need to do to them. I need to at least
                > bring my scores up to 3.0+!! YIKES!! I made 1.25 on each of these
                > entries and they were read by previous assessors, email buds who
                > passed these entries with near 4s, language arts teachers, and even
                my
                > wife!!!! They all said they looked good and covered the things
                asked
                > for. OH WEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL! Please respond to this at
                > rmikell2@n... that is my workhorse computer!!! Thanks for
                > anything that you decide. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
                > ROBERT MIKELL
              • mary edmunds
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2001
                  Hi Sheila,
                  I got almost a 4 and have coached for four years, send
                  me the entry and the questions,
                  I will help you,
                  maryk
                  --- Sheila Collins <scollins@...>