AC

  • Pamela Barnett
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 8 8:16 PM
      I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
      relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
      still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
      yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
      in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
      completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
      knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
      the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
      physical science and look at the various diagrams,
      charts that are normally included in the texts. I
      would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
      grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
      issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
      your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
      be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
      you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
      middle schoolers you will be able to address the
      prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
      that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
      caught up in details with one part of a section that
      you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
      frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
      lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
      the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
      and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
      still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
      control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
      am confident that I will do fine the next time because
      I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
      abilities and using my past experiences in the
      classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
      material/sample to read and look at in each section so
      you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
      make notes make them easy to find and read.
      I now understand what candidates mean when they say
      you can't really study for the AC.
      I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
      not needed to teach summer school and could have had
      this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
      away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
      burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
      could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
      breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
      every test the examples/samples/topics given are
      varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
      what you could or will experience.
      As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
      experience today and need rest.
      There is life after NBPTS.
      Pam

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Jill W Saia
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 9 6:56 AM
        Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
        the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
        because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
        the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
        that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
        did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
        though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
        Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
        now!
        Jill W. Saia
        EA Science '99
      • Kathy Dozier
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9 9:08 AM
          Pam,
          Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
          even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
          you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
          center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
        • mary edmunds
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9 4:20 PM
            Pamela,
            what a lovely letter and so appreciated.
            maryk

          • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 10 12:59 PM
              ---
              Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
              was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
              interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
              used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
              take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
              lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
              snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
              only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
              most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
              much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy