Re: AC

  • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
      --- Kathy,
      Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
      she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
      you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
      reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
      Good Luck, Cindy

      In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
      > Cindy,
      > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
      you. I
      > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
      stressed
      > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
      of
      > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
      any
      > control here and I don't test well.
      > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
      >
      > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
      >
      > Kathy
    • Pamela Barnett
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
        I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
        relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
        still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
        yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
        in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
        completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
        knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
        the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
        physical science and look at the various diagrams,
        charts that are normally included in the texts. I
        would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
        grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
        issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
        your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
        be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
        you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
        middle schoolers you will be able to address the
        prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
        that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
        caught up in details with one part of a section that
        you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
        frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
        lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
        the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
        and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
        still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
        control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
        am confident that I will do fine the next time because
        I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
        abilities and using my past experiences in the
        classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
        material/sample to read and look at in each section so
        you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
        make notes make them easy to find and read.
        I now understand what candidates mean when they say
        you can't really study for the AC.
        I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
        not needed to teach summer school and could have had
        this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
        away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
        burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
        could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
        breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
        every test the examples/samples/topics given are
        varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
        what you could or will experience.
        As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
        experience today and need rest.
        There is life after NBPTS.
        Pam

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Jill W Saia
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
          Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
          the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
          because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
          the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
          that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
          did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
          though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
          Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
          now!
          Jill W. Saia
          EA Science '99
        • Kathy Dozier
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
            Pam,
            Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
            even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
            you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
            center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
          • mary edmunds
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
              Pamela,
              what a lovely letter and so appreciated.
              maryk

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                ---
                Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy