Re: [EASCI] Re: AC

  • Kathy Dozier
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 7, 2001
      Cindy,
      Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for you. I
      understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that stressed
      out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out of
      control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have any
      control here and I don't test well.
      Thanks for the information on graphing also.

      Again good luck and prayers go with you.

      Kathy
    • ccrisp@bm.gcsd.k12.sc.us
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
        --- Kathy,
        Thanks, I was told by a fellow teacher who is EA/social studies that
        she was asked how she would accomodate for a resource student. So
        you might want to review how to modify lessons based on ability and
        reading levels. Also, pairing student with a buddy for assistance.
        Good Luck, Cindy

        In EASCI@y..., Kathy Dozier <kdozier@c...> wrote:
        > Cindy,
        > Good Luck. I really mean that. I will be saying a prayer for
        you. I
        > understand exactly how you feel. I thought no one else was that
        stressed
        > out. And no it is not the let down from anything. I just feel out
        of
        > control I think. I had control of the portfolio. I don''t have
        any
        > control here and I don't test well.
        > Thanks for the information on graphing also.
        >
        > Again good luck and prayers go with you.
        >
        > Kathy
      • Pamela Barnett
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 8, 2001
          I completed the AC today. I must say that it is a
          relief beyond belief!!!! For those of you with the AC
          still ahead I will offer this advice. Do NOT pressure
          yourself by studying, studying, studying. If you go
          in as stressed as I was you will go over the edge
          completely and not be able to organize yourself. If I
          knew what I know now about the AC, I would just review
          the TE from each of the areas of earth, life and
          physical science and look at the various diagrams,
          charts that are normally included in the texts. I
          would review the data sections of 6th, 7th and 8th
          grade TE math texts. I would read up on current STS
          issues that are in the news. And above all--go into
          your AC as rested and relaxed as humanly possible and
          be prepared to pace yourself. I can honestly say, if
          you have taught middle grades science and dealt with
          middle schoolers you will be able to address the
          prompts given as long as you aren't so stressed out
          that you miss what they are asking for. Don't get so
          caught up in details with one part of a section that
          you have to rush through the other parts in a confused
          frantic state. For me, even with the little clock, I
          lost all sense of time and blew the first section of
          the test. Then I got so caught up in pacing myself
          and monitoring time for the rest of the prompts that I
          still did not do my best. Do not go to the AC out of
          control. Since I am pretty sure I will be a banker, I
          am confident that I will do fine the next time because
          I know the importance of relaxing, trusting my
          abilities and using my past experiences in the
          classroom to complete the AC. You are given a lot of
          material/sample to read and look at in each section so
          you don't have time to really use notes, but if you do
          make notes make them easy to find and read.
          I now understand what candidates mean when they say
          you can't really study for the AC.
          I would be feeling a lot better about the AC if I had
          not needed to teach summer school and could have had
          this last week off to review and rest and think. Stay
          away from stressful craming and anything that leads to
          burnout! Be confident and positive. And from what I
          could tell at the AC as I went in and out at my
          breaks, it is very likely that within each question of
          every test the examples/samples/topics given are
          varied. So what I experienced will not be exactly
          what you could or will experience.
          As you can tell I am rambling from this learning
          experience today and need rest.
          There is life after NBPTS.
          Pam

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Jill W Saia
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
            Don't count on being a banker yet. It is possible to do poorly on part of
            the AC and still pass because your other scores are strong enough. I know
            because that's what happened to me! I totally blew the last question at
            the AC, but my other scores were strong enough to carry me through. I hope
            that happens to you. But you are completely right in how to prepare - I
            did far too much studying that I didn't use. It did help me calm my nerves
            though, just knowing that I had tried to cover "everything" in science!
            Let us know how you did when you get your scores - six long months from
            now!
            Jill W. Saia
            EA Science '99
          • Kathy Dozier
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
              Pam,
              Thank you for the advice. I go to the assessment center on Tuesday and
              even with the advice I am still nervous. Hope it goes better for you than
              you expect. I love to share information with you after the assessment
              center. I have not had another EASCI to speak to the entire time.
            • mary edmunds
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 9, 2001
                Pamela,
                what a lovely letter and so appreciated.
                maryk

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 10, 2001
                  ---
                  Pamela, You're right about the stress. I took the AC yesterday. I
                  was so nervous that it took me 10 to 15 minutes to be able to
                  interpret the material on the first prompt. I think I did ok. I
                  used every minute of my time. For those who have not taken it yet,
                  take your breaks even if you don't use all 15 minutes and all the
                  lunch break. It helps to clear your mind! Don't forget to take
                  snacks! About the studying, it did help me a little. It helped with
                  only prompt 3, Unifying Concepts. That was the one I worried the
                  most about! So, I'm glad I studied but I have to say I studied to
                  much. Good luck everyone!!! Cindy